Diy co2 help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Diy co2 help

So i was all excited to attempt a DIY CO2 today....got my sturdy bottle, airline tubing, check valve, and a fluval co2 diffuser. However when i was setting it all up i don't think the diffuser worked bc i blew into the end of the tubing and no bubbles came out at all. Does anyone know how i can do a diy diffuser or where i can buy a good one online?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 03:53 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use limewood diffusers. The last for about a month before replacing.

Opportunity is often missed because it's dressed in coveralls and looks like work.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 04:04 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Not sure what diffuser you're referring to. If it's any kind of ceramic disc, there's no way that blowing into it would create bubbles. It takes a heck of a lot more pressure than that.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Does that work better than an airstone? because i have heard airstones are not great for co2 diffusion
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Not sure what diffuser you're referring to. If it's any kind of ceramic disc, there's no way that blowing into it would create bubbles. It takes a heck of a lot more pressure than that.
Yea it was a ceramic one, haha woops....so than would a DIY setup even produce enough pressure?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 04:09 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcooo View Post
Yea it was a ceramic one, haha woops....so than would a DIY setup even produce enough pressure?
Probably. Not all diffusers will work with a DIY setup. Generally the cheap glass ones will. Not sure about the Fluval. You'll have to give it a shot. If nothing happens after 24 hours, try something different. A simple bamboo chopstick stuffed into the end of the airline will do the job in a pinch.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Probably. Not all diffusers will work with a DIY setup. Generally the cheap glass ones will. Not sure about the Fluval. You'll have to give it a shot. If nothing happens after 24 hours, try something different. A simple bamboo chopstick stuffed into the end of the airline will do the job in a pinch.
Interesting idea kev....ill be sure to give it a shot tomorrow night and see how it goes. Do you by chance have a suggestion for ingredients, like how much sugar/yeast and how long typically lasts?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
typically around 2-3 weeks, depending on your mixture.

btw, there are tons of threads on the subject. do a little searching if you have some time. there is a bunch of info regarding ingredients, mixture, diffusing, etc.

good luck dude.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 06:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
i use a small cylinder airstone, its sold at petco, bubbles are tiny, and works really good, i figure go with a wood one, order online....
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I used a gallon container with 1/2 teaspoon yeast ( which for a two litre is set for twoo weeks) and 6 cups of sugar. I got about 4 weeks out oof iit. More accurately 3 weeks and 3-5 days

Ceramic diffuser worked fine for me. Actually about 15 min oof stirring everything together my diffuser started releasing bubbles.

Make sure u seal ur container real well or it will leak and no diffuser will work.
No matter home many threads u see saying drill a small hole and squeeze the line through. Go the xtra mile, put a little tank sealant around it. It takes 48 hours to cure but its worth it. I never had a leak

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
I keep preaching about champagne yeast and guess I'll do it again.

2L, 2cups sugar, 1/2 tsp champagne yeast, 1/4 tsp baking soda = on its 10th week. Starting to slow down a bit but still producing. Have never had a champagne yeast setup go for any amount of time shorter than six weeks.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
whats the cost effectiveness of that?

Sump Pimp #7

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I keep preaching about champagne yeast and guess I'll do it again.

2L, 2cups sugar, 1/2 tsp champagne yeast, 1/4 tsp baking soda = on its 10th week. Starting to slow down a bit but still producing. Have never had a champagne yeast setup go for any amount of time shorter than six weeks.

Wow - that is rather a compelling argument.

BTW - More Yeast = More CO2, but for a shorter time.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
As far as your diffuser goes. I would look up lee's wood block diffusers. They are cheap and easily replaceable. And it puts off a much smaller bubble than an airstone. And just FYI a chopstick stuck in the end would provide too large of a bubble forthe water to even try to absorb. That's a last resort kinda thing only.

How big is the tank? Filter type? Fish?
This will be what tells you how far you need to go with your co2 setup. I have used DIY in my 75. (yea I said it 75) and it works perfectly. I only use two bottles and a power head/gravel vac setup.

Opportunity is often missed because it's dressed in coveralls and looks like work.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrodg View Post
How big is the tank? Filter type? Fish?
This will be what tells you how far you need to go with your co2 setup. I have used DIY in my 75. (yea I said it 75) and it works perfectly. I only use two bottles and a power head/gravel vac setup.
thanks for all the input....but i have a 55 gallon tank, mainland 350gph biowheel filter, and only a few tetras for now. also the tank is lightly planted now but ultimately i would like it heavily planted

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode