Our First Tank. Marimos. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Our First Tank. Marimos.

Bought a 14 gallon tank kit yesterday. Until now, my marimos were just in a bowl on the kitchen table. I can already tell they're happier. We've gotten five Cherry Shrimp, two Fancy Guppies, two Mystery Snails, and one of those sucker fish things.

I have a total of 5 marimos. One about 4 inches wide, three about 2 inches wide and the last is about a half inch that came from a split. How many Cherry Shrimp should I have for them?

Is 75 degrees an okay temperature?

Can I safely put other aquarium plants in without slowing my marimos growth?

What other fish would go well and get along with them?

Best filter? Can we put two? Tips to keep it as clean as possible?

I know I'm asking a lot, but any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)
Ok, gonna break this up into sections. I'm assuming you mean Marimo moss balls (actually a type of algae).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazm View Post
Bought a 14 gallon tank kit yesterday. Until now, my marimos were just in a bowl on the kitchen table. I can already tell they're happier. We've gotten five Cherry Shrimp, two Fancy Guppies, two Mystery Snails, and one of those sucker fish things.
You got all of those the day after buying a tank? Unless you're seeding the filter with old media from an established tank, I doubt anything but the apple snails will survive, especially those guppies, they are not a hardy fish.

Quote:
I have a total of 5 marimos. One about 4 inches wide, three about 2 inches wide and the last is about a half inch that came from a split. How many Cherry Shrimp should I have for them?
...you don't need shrimp for Marimo balls, nor do shrimp need them.

Quote:
Is 75 degrees an okay temperature?
Yes, as long as this stays somewhat constant.

Quote:
Can I safely put other aquarium plants in without slowing my marimos growth?
That's fine, Marimo balls need almost nothing to grow, however keep in mind that they grow very slowly.

Quote:
What other fish would go well and get along with them?
In a 14gal, not much. You'll be kinda limited to smaller species, like the guppies you have. That plecostomus you bought (the "suckerfish thing") can grow to 3.5-4 feet, you'll be better off taking him back to the store ASAP, as if you just got the tank yesterday, unless you give him food (zucchini, squash, etc), he will die very soon as there is no algae for him to eat. He will also outgrow your tank very quickly, and if you have plants, he will rasp on them and destroy them, also uprooting some with his powerful tail. Look instead for otocinclus catfish, they stay around 1.5". Keep them in a small school of four or so, and at least once a week put a slice of blanched zucchini/squash in for them to eat.

Quote:
Best filter? Can we put two? Tips to keep it as clean as possible?
Do you not have a filter on it at all right now? If so, I'm surprised the fish lasted the night. Get an Aquaclear HOB (hang-on-back) filter, something that's rated for at least twice as much as your tank can hold (so 14x2 = 28, so look for something rated for at least a 30gal tank).

Without cycling your tank before adding any fish, the bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate are not present, ammonia will build up to dangerous levels in the next day or so and kill your fish, starting with the guppies.

You're better off to take them back to the store, buy a quality filter, ask them if you can have a small sample of used gravel from one of their tanks or a bit of media from one of their filters, put this in your system, and wait for it to cycle. Also buy an API Master Test kit (liquid, not the strip testers), and check the water each week (or several times a week) to check for the ammonia to spike, nitrite to spike, and finally nitrates rise to ~10-40ppm. Once this happens, the tank is "cycled" and you can begin to slowly add fish, as to not overload these bacteria and harm/kill the fish.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you just started yesterday, there's some stuff you need to know. This is something that most people think you can just do in one day, but it is a lot more involved than that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
a 40g reef
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, we have a filter, as well as a heater. And from what I was told on this forum, the cherry shrimp eat the debris from the marimos, which I have watched them do. definitely didn't know that about the sucker fish, though. guess we'll be getting some bacteria from the store after work.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, we have a filter, as well as a heater. And from what I was told on this forum, the cherry shrimp eat the debris from the marimos, which I have watched them do. definitely didn't know that about the sucker fish, though. guess we'll be getting some bacteria from the store after work.
As Marimo balls roll around on the bottom, they will accumulate some debris, but the shrimp don't need it, nor do the marimo balls need to be "cleaned" by them. The shrimp won't spend all their time on it, though, so keeping more shrimp than can fit on them is ok, they should take turns.

As for the filter, you had me worried for your fish for a bit there! Where did you get your stuff from, an LFS or a big box chain? I would take the fish and shrimp back (the snails might be ok), explaining your situation, hopefully getting some filter media, and then play the waiting game for the tank to cycle. Fancy guppies are not hardy at all, my LFS has no problem with any of her fish except fancy guppies, 10% of them are lost in shipping to her, and then ~50% don't make it through the next week.

Most places will stock the API master test kits, I'd pick one up (should run $20-30) and monitor your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels until ammonia and nitrite return to 0, then maybe add the guppies back, then a week later add the shrimp and some cute little otos if you can find them.

As for the plecostomus, I will get a pic of one next time someone in my family pulls one up. The ******** are destroying the lakebed and tearing up fishes nests made on the bottom, not to mention they can rip through a castnet in a couple of seconds!

Here is a pic found via Google Images:

He's just a wee one.

a 40g reef
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I agree with the above advice! Your guppies may make it through the cycling process, but I'm not so sure about the shrimp. Cycling + shrimp is never something good. Also, mixing shrimp and fish is also quite dangerous, you may find yourself with missing cherries and fat and happy fish...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by piffy View Post
I agree with the above advice! Your guppies may make it through the cycling process, but I'm not so sure about the shrimp. Cycling + shrimp is never something good. Also, mixing shrimp and fish is also quite dangerous, you may find yourself with missing cherries and fat and happy fish...
I wouldn't worry about the shrimp. I've got ghost shrimp in three different tanks, one has five 3.5" angelfish (not including fins), one 7" peacock eel, and a 3" betta, the second tank has 10x African cichlids (mbunas & peacocks), ranging from 1" to 4", and the third has two 5"+ "herberts" (my name for black moor goldfish) and three 3" comet goldfish, and I haven't seen my shrimp numbers decrease in any of them. The fish seem to enjoy watching the shrimp, they all line up and watch the shrimp swim across the front of the tank!

a 40g reef
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Went and got a bottle of the bacteria stuff. The little local pet store owner where we got the guppies was very helpful. We'll see how out evens out over the next week or so.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Sorry to be off track, but are plecos native to Florida, or is it another case of dummies dumping non-native things?

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Went and got a bottle of the bacteria stuff. The little local pet store owner where we got the guppies was very helpful. We'll see how out evens out over the next week or so.
What are you doing with the fish/shrimp?
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
Sorry to be off track, but are plecos native to Florida, or is it another case of dummies dumping non-native things?
No, they aren't. And I don't think dummies is a strong enough word

a 40g reef
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

We're just going to leave them in there and hope for the best. They all seem to be acting normally, but we'll see. A learning experience. =P
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I wish you luck, but the forecast looks cloudy for the fish/shrimp.

What kind of "bottle of bacteria" did you get? These "jumpstart" bottles usually don't work instantly, typically still taking 2-3 weeks to finish the cycle.

a 40g reef
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nutrifin. The guy at the local shop told us to double up the first day, standard day one and two, then every other day until its clear. He also advised us not to get more fish until then, so he's as hopeful as you are. Haha. poor fishies
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Algae Grower

the only bacteria in a bottle that i've had work is tetra safe start, which worked in about 3 days

nutrifin "cycle" is notorious for not working at all, if i remember correctly.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Haha. poor fishies
awesome attitude.

Keeper of plants, shrimp & oddball 'monsters'.

|

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Algae Grower

Poor little guys! Hope everything works out for you! :P

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode