New Tank - Week 3 1/2 - STILL CLOUDY! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
New Tank - Week 3 1/2 - STILL CLOUDY!

My tank has been setup and running for approx. 3 1/2 weeks, if not 4.

There have been some small additions in some Swords, Tetras, Corys - totaling 10 fish..

Testing is coming out fine. Substrate is Flourite, with fine gravel on top.

As you can see from picture below, it is a Cloudy haze. It began early on, like Day 3 or 4, and has been ever since...

I tried Water Clarifier, did nothing. I was doing Water Changes every 2-3 days..Now I am doing nothing, hands off, to see what happens...but wanted to see everyone else's suggestions..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20111009-00165.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	35916  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Looks like a bacterial bloom to me. I had this issue when I started my 15G. Feed your fish very little (once a day) and do water changes (10% per day I'd say) until it's gone. It should go away with a week or 2 of doing this

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I had the same issue, I did massive water changes daily until it cleared.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinycard255 View Post
Looks like a bacterial bloom to me. I had this issue when I started my 15G. Feed your fish very little (once a day) and do water changes (10% per day I'd say) until it's gone. It should go away with a week or 2 of doing this
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKine View Post
I had the same issue, I did massive water changes daily until it cleared.
Common theory of fishkeeping would agree, my only concern is I have been doing this since the beginning, and to no avail, I am wondering if it is time to switch plans
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
How well did you rinse your gravel? I didn't do a well enough job, and it was cloudy due to fine particals of sand floating in the water making it cloudy. I ended up hooking the hose up so water was going into my tank as I was using the gravel vac to suck up and drain all the sand that had already settled. Took about 20 min and has been clean & clear ever since.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987 View Post
How well did you rinse your gravel? I didn't do a well enough job, and it was cloudy due to fine particals of sand floating in the water making it cloudy. I ended up hooking the hose up so water was going into my tank as I was using the gravel vac to suck up and drain all the sand that had already settled. Took about 20 min and has been clean & clear ever since.
+1 Very good point! I had this issue in my 60G. I never rinsed out the Flourite or Pea Gravel in my tank at first (before I added dirt) and when I filled it up for the first time it clouded up very badly and when I made any movements around the substrate, it clouded the tank again. I emptied my tank completely, spent a good 4 hours rinsing out my flourite and pea gravel and put it back in (with dirt under it this time). Never clouded up again from all the fine particles.

I still think it's a bacterial bloom however

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)
Also, if you used a clarifier (like Seachem Clarity) without having filter floss (fine, white padding) in your filter, the clarifier will do nothing, as all it does is group smaller particles together so that the filter floss can catch it.

When you say testing is fine, when cycling the tank did you see an ammonia spike, nitrite spike, then nitrates rise? Did you use recycled filter media to boost the bacteria levels?

a 40g reef
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
As others have said, it could be a bacterial bloom, in which case it will dissipate with time. Otherwise, as Ben said, filter floss will be a great assist, which I find does a superb job when replaced frequently, and used in the filter(s) along with Purigen, and pre-filter sponges on the filter intake tubes. Give it a try, I believe you'll get fairly quick, effective results.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I also agree with the filter floss comments. I washed my gravel (regular pea gravel from lowe's) only a few times before putting it in, but the cloudiness went away in 2-3 days. I think having a sump or canister with the floss helps a lot with this. If you are running a HOB filter I can imagine it might take a lot longer.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 05:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
I think you stocked it too fast. How big is it?

Keep doing water changes. Not to solve the bloom necessarily, but to keep the fish healthy until the tank settles itself out.

A tank takes around 4-5 weeks to cycle properly. Seeding it can speed things up a little, but you shouldn't have much in the tank at this point, IMO.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I appreciate everyone's response, I truly do!

Many seems to mention bacterial bloom - is this common 3 weeks in still?
Some have mentioned not risning Flourite enough. I definately rinsed. I put it on a screen about 4 x 4 feet, and rinsed fairly thoroughly...but not overly much as I didnt want to counter it's effectiveness

I am using filter floss in the 3 stage wet/dry filtration system of the Biocube; however, I am thinking the placement could be changed.

I too agree believe I have overstocked, and I feel bad now...however, I dont have much of a choice at this point, and the fish seem healthy currently.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistik84 View Post
Many seems to mention bacterial bloom - is this common 3 weeks in still?
If the tank was not properly cycled, it is a possibility. You never really answered the question on whether or not you used old media from a previously established tank to "seed" the bacteria.
Quote:
I am using filter floss in the 3 stage wet/dry filtration system of the Biocube; however, I am thinking the placement could be changed.
Filter floss is a "polisher" and typically is best as the last thing before the water returns to the main tank.
Quote:
I too agree believe I have overstocked, and I feel bad now...however, I dont have much of a choice at this point, and the fish seem healthy currently.
How large is the tank?

a 40g reef
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterben View Post
If the tank was not properly cycled, it is a possibility. You never really answered the question on whether or not you used old media from a previously established tank to "seed" the bacteria.
Yes - I had a "satchel" of Carbon from an established tank of 2 years, as well as a piece of driftwood 1x1ft roughly from the same tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterben View Post
Filter floss is a "polisher" and typically is best as the last thing before the water returns to the main tank.

How large is the tank?
29 gallon Biocube
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes - I had a "satchel" of Carbon from an established tank of 2 years, as well as a piece of driftwood 1x1ft roughly from the same tank.

29 gallon Biocube
Hmm, that thing should have cycled quickly, then.

Curious, what are you ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

a 40g reef
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Algae Grower

See if you can get a hold of a uv sterilizer. Might take a few days with a small one but it'll work great on on bacteria.

"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses, had it coming." -John Steinbeck

"Everyone's got a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode