planted tank experiment - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
planted tank experiment

I would like to see more writings on experiments conducted by fellow aquatic plant enthusiasts. In an effort to get the ball rolling, I will be setting up two new tanks in April to conduct an experiment.

What I would like from you, my fellow enthusiast, are suggestions for the variables in the experiment. What would you like to discover? Are there particular plants about which you are curious? Do you have questions regarding a particular macro or micro nutrient’s impact on a given plant? Now is the time to speak up – I am listening! Who knows, your suggestion today may result in an article you can read over breakfast in the not too distant future.

This is what is fixed thus far:

1) Two 5.5 gallon Perfecto tanks
2) Lighting – Each tank will be equipped with a 2 x 13w AH Supply fixture, and each will be paired with two 13w, 6700K bulbs.
3) Filtration – Each tank will utilize one ZooMed 501 Turtle Canister Filter, sans carbon media.

This is not decided:

Substrate – I am interested in using ADA Powesand Special and Aquasoil Amazonia (small), but this is by no means a final decision.

Flora – This is wide open at this point.

Fauna – This, too, is undecided. However, I am leaning towards no fauna, as I think it will provide for easier control of the experiment. Your input will be the deciding factor.

H2O – I am thinking about using distilled water and adding Seachem Equilibrium. I don’t want the experiment to be biased by my tap water.

CO2 – I have the capability of using pressurized CO2 on each tank, but this is open for discussion.

Fertilization – This is totally undecided.

Okay, now it’s your turn. Let me hear where you would like this to go. Please comment as little or as much as you would like. If you’ve had a hypothesis that has been screaming for attention, I would like to hear it. Also, if there are any others that would like to work with me (i.e. attempt to replicate the experiment), please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
I am interested in a comparison of different substrates. But I don't think that fits too well into your experimental setup.

Basically I would like to have a really long tank, maybe 5 or 6 feet, and divide the bottom into say 5 or 6 areas, and fill them with different substrates... gravel, soil, flourite, aquatic soil, kitty litter etc and see if there are any differences in plant growth.

In any case, I think it would be difficult to do an experiment in a 5.5gal tank and then generalize it for all sizes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 03:03 AM

It would be interesting to put some tanks on a central filtration system, plant each one with some stem plants, and use different lighting of the same wattage, but different color temps, all on the same timer. I wonder if there would be significant differences in growth and algae? I know alot of people say it is intensity, not K, but I would imagine there is an optimum balance of the spectrum, just like a balance of ferts. If you could manufacture bulbs that are scientifically proven to help plants outcompete algae, you'd have a goldmine.

Or how about setting up some tanks with co2, high light, etc. Plant them with the same number of plants. Set up some with heavy nutrient dosing and an ammonia remover like zeolite in the tank. Set some more up the same way, but without the zeolite. IIRC, Tom Barr says ammonium causes most algae, not excessive no3 and p. It would be interesting to see what happens.

Or perhaps soil vs. flourite vs. eco-complete vs. gravel?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The ‘Aquaristic’ section at tropica.com has a 4 part article which concludes that if you had to choose between adding CO2 or adding more light to a given planted aquarium, CO2 delivers more incremental value, as measured by plant growth. The entire article is quite interesting. Doesn’t current conventional wisdom say that you need to jack up the light BEFORE adding CO2? In other words, that adding CO2 in the absence of ‘high’ light (2.5 w/G or higher) is essentially a waste. The folks at Tropica appear to prove the opposite, at least according to my reading of their findings. Is this worth testing further?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffboy
The ‘Aquaristic’ section at tropica.com has a 4 part article which concludes that if you had to choose between adding CO2 or adding more light to a given planted aquarium, CO2 delivers more incremental value, as measured by plant growth. The entire article is quite interesting. Doesn’t current conventional wisdom say that you need to jack up the light BEFORE adding CO2? In other words, that adding CO2 in the absence of ‘high’ light (2.5 w/G or higher) is essentially a waste. The folks at Tropica appear to prove the opposite, at least according to my reading of their findings. Is this worth testing further?

I read that article a couple months ago and decided to add diy co2 to my tank and it made a big difference. I have 90 watts over 100 gallons (4x2) and my plants grow well. My java ferns even pearl a little, believe it or not.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 09:04 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Based on another thread that is ongoing, how about a test of water change impacts?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
EI vs PPS
That should get everyone involved
jB
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
I am interested in a comparison of different substrates.

Basically I would like to have a really long tank, maybe 5 or 6 feet, and divide the bottom into say 5 or 6 areas, and fill them with different substrates... gravel, soil, flourite, aquatic soil, kitty litter etc and see if there are any differences in plant growth.
Somebody should do this as well!!
jB
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:47 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Baliban
EI vs PPS
That should get everyone involved
jB
hehe...thats right...stir the pot!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I vote for identical conditions, one with a UV, one without, and let the chips fall where they may.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode