Blasting Grit Sand (black color) contains copper? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (151/100%)
Blasting Grit Sand (black color) contains copper?

I have been using it for a week now, and I think my shrimps are dying because of it. I think there may be copper leeching out of the sand. Is it possible for blasting grit to contain such element? I have not done much research lol Just looking for a quick answer... Unfortunately I am losing 5 shrimps a day, and it is shamefully ongoing... I thought it was because of the stress of separating them while I was converting their substrate.. I don't think so... but I did not drip-acclimate them (but what is the point if the water pH, kH, gH and the temperature is the same?) I just poured them in.. So anyway, they eat like normal shrimps do, but the sudden deaths are driving my crazy. I am giving them the best Reverse Osmosis soft water that is given back important electrolytes, so the acidity of ther water remains the same when I swapped out ADA AS2 for blasting grit and cold temps available.. The reason I had to use sand grit was because ADA Amazonia 2 was beginning to turn into serious mush like dirt; so I had a plan to cap it with something new, blasting black grit... Before, things were fine with Amazonia 2, but shortly after, the shrimps was digging and looking for detritus, and it generated clouds upon clouds of Amazonia 2 dust, which tells me its probably because of the age of the soil, which is about 3 years old now. It is finally starting to seriously break down...

Do you guys think it is the sand grit containing copper? I am seriously thinking about buying a copper test kit by API to check and see if there are high levels of it. Also, I might consider taking out the sand for a different type that is shrimp-safe (which brand is good in your experience?) if the blasting grit is no good.

Any thoughts or help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks for reading guys,

-William

20 gallon - Red Cherry Shrimp/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Have you checked for ammonia in the water? If you removed all the substrate and put the shrimp into a tank with only new substrate, you may have upset the biofilter and ammonia may be the culprit.

I do not know about the blasting grit, though. In your case I would take some of the grit and tank water, put both in a bag or jar, shake it up real good a few times, and have the water tested at an LFS if they have a copper kit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Most blasting grit that I have used is aluminum oxide or silica based; I don’t know how aluminum will affect shrimp. The blasting grit is not meant to be used for anything more than taking off dirt so I would bet that the QA for checking the content of other contaminates isn’t there. Copper, aluminum, iron, steel shavings and dust could be found in my last shop and we didn’t deal with anything but steel. Contamination is always there.

Where did you get the media from? You could try mixing PFS and another black sand to get a nice effect from your substrate if you are thinking of changing it.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." JFK 1962

Last edited by ldaniel; 10-10-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: added silica based grit to the first line

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
depends on what kind it is. there is some that is made of copper slag and some coal slag.

Ebony grit is copper slag. blackblast and black beauty are coal slag and from what i see on the msds sheets, they don't contain copper. i have heard of blasting grit piercing the shrimp's shells, but idk if it is true or not.

75G Paludarium Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

filstar pimp #171
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Take a sample of water to the LFS for a full sample. My guess is a full cycle, ammonia and nitrite being the problem.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (151/100%)
D'oh!

The problem is ammonia, and nitrite... You guys were right. Bah, I should have tested. The whole time thought it was high levels of copper.. I assumed the biological filter was holding enough colonies of beneficial bacteria to handle the cycle, I guess the filter wasn't enough to do the job.. it can't hold all of it, some probably established in dense amounts on the Amazonia 2 substrate...

So for now as an emergency, I am dosing x2 of Prime, used seachem's Stability & Purigen, and a bit of gunk from other filters in hopes of removing ammonia and nitrite immediately..

I will give you guys an update later. I have to go to work.

Thanks a lot guys for helping out.

-Will

20 gallon - Red Cherry Shrimp/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
How big is this tank and how many shrimps did you put in?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 02:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Black Beauty is chemically inert. i use it at work all the time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode