Recommended Book for a budding aquarist - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fresh Meadows, NY
Posts: 53
Recommended Book for a budding aquarist

Was at PetCo two days ago to buy cat/dog food, saw a book titled 101 best aquarium plant by Mary Sweeney. Is there another similar book that details the requirement for the basic and intermediate plant in this hobby? How about a book to teach someone how to set a DIY light system, or a general teaching guide for maintaining a planted aquarium?

I understand some people would ask me to search for it online (its free) but I enjoy holding a book and turning the page. Same goes for penmanship
CakeHunter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Razorworm's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hawthorn Woods IL
Posts: 679
Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad IMO a must for a better understanding the science of planted tanks. She promotes natural style aquariums but even as a hi tech guy, I loved her book.

Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants. Good general reference on plants.

Finally, the best, and importantly, FREE, is the advise you will get from the people on this forum. I can not over state how helpful everyone here has been. I look at the hobby as a never ending adventure and along the way TPT provides a 24/7 database of info, insight and friendship.
Razorworm is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: East Lansing, MI, USA
Posts: 2,709
Most pet store books will not provide nearly the detail and accuracy you'll find here. If not in the first response, then in the follow ups. Using the search feature you can look up anything planted tank related, most anything tank related, and a lot of fish information.

Don't get me started on the value of most pet store "beginner" books.
Oh, ok, they have negative value in that you need to help people un-learn.
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
wkndracer's Avatar
 
PTrader: (68/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Citrus County,Florida
Posts: 6,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Most pet store books will not provide nearly the detail and accuracy you'll find here. If not in the first response, then in the follow ups. Using the search feature you can look up anything planted tank related, most anything tank related, and a lot of fish information.

Don't get me started on the value of most pet store "beginner" books.
Oh, ok, they have negative value in that you need to help people un-learn.
+1 most are outdated at best and junk at worst. Walstad is worth reading


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wkndracer is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:48 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 30
Razorworm I was looking at the Walstad book but the reviews said it was a tough read if you don't know your science...would a beginner benefit?
Norman is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
wkndracer's Avatar
 
PTrader: (68/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Citrus County,Florida
Posts: 6,186
Ecology of the Planted Aquarium, by Diana Walstad, 2nd edition

The bible of the low tech planted aquarium. Hard cover bound, color photos, diagrams and charts by the author. Hand signed by the author.

$25.00 plus shipping
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sw...phed-book.html

I could understand 90% of it and I'm a college drop out / mechanic LOL


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wkndracer is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 02:30 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman View Post
Razorworm I was looking at the Walstad book but the reviews said it was a tough read if you don't know your science...would a beginner benefit?
I haven't read the book but I did read an article online that she made publicly available about her Natural Planted Tank style Walstad bowls. My thoughts based on that article:

a) her writing style allows a non-scientist to grasp the key points and understand them well enough to put them into use.

b) she is also thorough and scientific.

The details that you might not fully understand (the chemistry heavy portions mainly) are more of a bonus for the scientifically inclined than a requirement for her knowledge and methods to be used beneficially.
madness is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
UDGags's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 999
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags
This is my list. You can find them all on Amazon...

High
Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad
Aquarium Plants by Christel Kasselmann
Planted Aquariums by Christel Kasselmann
Aquarium Plant Paradise by Takashi Amano
Nature Aquarium Volume 1 by Takashi Amano
Nature Aquarium World Volume 2 by Takashi Amano
Nature Aquarium World-Book 3 (Bk. 3) by Takashi Amano
Nature Aquarium World: How You Can Make A Most Beautiful Aquarium by Takashi Amano
Nature Aquarium: Complete Works 1985-2009 by Takashi Amano
Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants by Peter Hiscock

Medium
Dr. Axelrod's Atlas of Freshwater Aquarium Fishes by Dr Harbert R. Axelrod
Baensch Aquarium Atlas Photo Index 1-5 (NEW REVISED THIRD EDITION 2007) by Hans A. Baensch, et al.
Baensch Aquarium Atlas, Vol. 4 (v. 4) by Hans A. Baensch, Ruediger Riehl
Baensch Aquarium Atlas, Vol. 3 (Third Revised Edition 2004) (v. 3) by Hans A. Baensch, Rudiger Riehl
Baensch Aquarium Atlas Vol. 1 (7th REVISED EDITION 2007) by Hans A. Baensch, Rudiger Riehl
Baensch Aquarium Atlas Vol. 2 (4th REVISED EDITION 2008) by Hans A. Baensch, Rudiger Riehl
Aquarium Designs Inspired by Nature by Peter Hiscock
Encyclopedia Of Exotic Tropical Fishes For Freshwater Aquariums by G. S. Axelrod

Low
Limnology, Third Edition: Lake and River Ecosystems by Robert G. Wetzel (Advanced Book)
Natural Aquarium by S. Yoshino, et al.
Aquarium Plants Manual (Complete Pet Owners Manuals) by Ines Scheurmann
Fishkeeper's Guide to Aquarium Plants: A Superbly Illustrated Guide to Growing Healthy ... by Barry James
Holger Windelov's Tropica Color Catalogue: Aquarium Plants by Holger Winelov
Aquarium Plants: The Practical Guide by Pabloo Tepoot, et al.
Fish Behavior in the Aquarium and in the Wild (Comstock books) by Stéphan Reebs

For beginners this site has an excellent guide at the top "Planted Tank Guide". I would also recommend the various forums, not just The Planted Tank. You have the Barr Report, Aquatic Plant Enthusiats, Aquatic Plant Central, AGA, IAPLC and to an extent MFK (not really for plants).
UDGags is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
WallaceGrover's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 727
Nowdays informational books are becoming outdated, I would say just find some really good reference sites (like this one). Just search what you want to know, unless you're not looking for something specific. Then you just have to browse around...
WallaceGrover is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
wkndracer's Avatar
 
PTrader: (68/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Citrus County,Florida
Posts: 6,186
another good start

Starting out new to this stuff I recommend another site for basic fert introduction.
Rex Grigg's website is a little dated (mainly lighting) but the fert information is valid and his presentation style suites me.
Without spending a dime or having to search topic by topic the best place to get the basics is on Rex Grigg's site. http://www.rexgrigg.com/
Fantastic people here on the TPT and very helpful do not misunderstand my posting this. This is my favorite site on the web. But when learning or needing advice too many voices can create fog. Topic by topic with enough detail Rex explains all the aspects step by step. Your foundation will be solid after reading through his site then log in here and bang the membership with detailed questions. Save yourself some time really by gaining the fundamentals reading a formatted how to guide written by a hobbyist.

Rex is off grid at the moment so don't order anything from his site store without current contact being made first. FYI He was one big time poster here for a long time and one of the first regarding dry fert use. The information provided on his site is rock solid. Really a well put together starting point on planted tank keeping.

I refuse to think bad things about Rex just some kind of really bad voodoo has him off the grid so remember do not use the site fert store without direct contact first!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wkndracer is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
JRMott's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 426
I too suggest the Planted Tank Guide at the top of this site. I bought it when I started and still find myself referring back to it a year later.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JRMott is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 04:37 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 30
Oh good thanks! I'll be looking to buy the Walstad book. I've been debating getting it but I buy so many books and then never end up reading them unless they are really good and easy to follow.
Norman is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Razorworm's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hawthorn Woods IL
Posts: 679
Norman, The Walstad book is not an easy read for a person new to planted tanks. However, it is loaded with important information which, while scientific in nature, is pertinent to our hobby ( hi and low tech ). Read it once and try to get the overall feel. Read it again and you will find it all much clearer. Also, the Amano books referenced earlier, specifically Nature Aquarium Complete Works 1985-2009 is good for the cool photos.
Razorworm is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
wetworks's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fort Myers, Floriduh
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDGags View Post
This is my list. You can find them all on Amazon...

High
Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad
Aquarium Plants by Christel Kasselmann
Planted Aquariums by Christel Kasselmann
Aquarium Plant Paradise by Takashi Amano
Nature Aquarium Volume 1 by Takashi Amano
Nature Aquarium World Volume 2 by Takashi Amano
Nature Aquarium World-Book 3 (Bk. 3) by Takashi Amano
Nature Aquarium World: How You Can Make A Most Beautiful Aquarium by Takashi Amano
Nature Aquarium: Complete Works 1985-2009 by Takashi Amano
Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants by Peter Hiscock

Medium
Dr. Axelrod's Atlas of Freshwater Aquarium Fishes by Dr Harbert R. Axelrod
Baensch Aquarium Atlas Photo Index 1-5 (NEW REVISED THIRD EDITION 2007) by Hans A. Baensch, et al.
Baensch Aquarium Atlas, Vol. 4 (v. 4) by Hans A. Baensch, Ruediger Riehl
Baensch Aquarium Atlas, Vol. 3 (Third Revised Edition 2004) (v. 3) by Hans A. Baensch, Rudiger Riehl
Baensch Aquarium Atlas Vol. 1 (7th REVISED EDITION 2007) by Hans A. Baensch, Rudiger Riehl
Baensch Aquarium Atlas Vol. 2 (4th REVISED EDITION 2008) by Hans A. Baensch, Rudiger Riehl
Aquarium Designs Inspired by Nature by Peter Hiscock
Encyclopedia Of Exotic Tropical Fishes For Freshwater Aquariums by G. S. Axelrod

Low
Limnology, Third Edition: Lake and River Ecosystems by Robert G. Wetzel (Advanced Book)
Natural Aquarium by S. Yoshino, et al.
Aquarium Plants Manual (Complete Pet Owners Manuals) by Ines Scheurmann
Fishkeeper's Guide to Aquarium Plants: A Superbly Illustrated Guide to Growing Healthy ... by Barry James
Holger Windelov's Tropica Color Catalogue: Aquarium Plants by Holger Winelov
Aquarium Plants: The Practical Guide by Pabloo Tepoot, et al.
Fish Behavior in the Aquarium and in the Wild (Comstock books) by Stéphan Reebs

For beginners this site has an excellent guide at the top "Planted Tank Guide". I would also recommend the various forums, not just The Planted Tank. You have the Barr Report, Aquatic Plant Enthusiats, Aquatic Plant Central, AGA, IAPLC and to an extent MFK (not really for plants).
This is a great list, thanks for posting it!

I even have duckweed in my water bong!
wetworks is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fresh Meadows, NY
Posts: 53
Thanks for the list. I need to buy some of the easier read book. I really want to start with the basic "basics", if you get what I mean. I actually went to Rex Grigg website, and its pretty concise and funny, but still too hard for me to grasp. Thank you all for the great suggestion, will be heading to barnes and noble soon.
CakeHunter is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome