how big of a factor is temperature in planted aquariums? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
how big of a factor is temperature in planted aquariums?

I am curious to know how much of an effect, if any, temperature has on plant growth. Do some plants grow better in cold water where the same temp will atrophy the growth of a particular plant? Does the same thing hold true for warmer water?

I even have duckweed in my water bong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
It gets really hot here in the summer and the tank has been around 83 for a few months - it really seems to correlate to some poor growth in some of the plants. Not all, though. So, I suspect that the some plants are sensitive to temperature but I'm not sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 04:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I know some plants are sensitive, although I don't know which ones. I have read that a lot of discus keepers use certain plants because they can handle the higher temps better. A lot of the mosses aren't supposed to do well in warmer water.

Water temperature

Before placing your plants in the tank ensure that the water is not too cold as this will shock and stress aquarium plants. Most plants do well in water that is between 72 and 81 degrees Fahrenheit and it is important to keep the water temperature constant, as many plants will not react well to sudden changes. A heater can help keep the tank water at an optimum temperature. Aquarium plant care also requires the proper water hardness and pH level. Check the specific requirements for the plants you have purchased.

http://www.catalogs.com/info/pets/aq...lant-care.html

There is also a thread about this here:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...t-Plant-Growth

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-H View Post
It gets really hot here in the summer and the tank has been around 83 for a few months - it really seems to correlate to some poor growth in some of the plants. Not all, though. So, I suspect that the some plants are sensitive to temperature but I'm not sure.
I think that your suspicions are correct, but I am not sure where to look to confirm that. Thanks for your reply.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2smart4u View Post
I know some plants are sensitive, although I don't know which ones. I have read that a lot of discus keepers use certain plants because they can handle the higher temps better. A lot of the mosses aren't supposed to do well in warmer water.

Water temperature

Before placing your plants in the tank ensure that the water is not too cold as this will shock and stress aquarium plants. Most plants do well in water that is between 72 and 81 degrees Fahrenheit and it is important to keep the water temperature constant, as many plants will not react well to sudden changes. A heater can help keep the tank water at an optimum temperature. Aquarium plant care also requires the proper water hardness and pH level. Check the specific requirements for the plants you have purchased.

http://www.catalogs.com/info/pets/aq...lant-care.html

There is also a thread about this here:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...t-Plant-Growth
Thanks a lot for both the info and the links. I had read the same thing about discus, and also about goldfish as well (cold water).

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have not used a heater for many years. My home stays around 70 deg and above for 80% of the year making the aquariums I have run well above that temperature. The pumps and lights all add more then enough heat to system. If your home is below 70 deg most the time I would use a heater.
On the subject of heaters and temperature stability, I guess that can be debated. In my experience if the system is healthy it could care less and the average temperature of your home is fine.
Also from my direct observations of nature the tempature is always changing and is not stable or constant.
md
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Temperature and Plants

Good morning wet...

Aquarium plants are tropical, so do best in warmer water. If you keep the tank temperature in the 76 to 82 degree range, then your plants should be fine. I keep my tanks' temps between 76 and 78 degrees. It helps to have A/C going in the summer.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Good morning wet...

Aquarium plants are tropical, so do best in warmer water. If you keep the tank temperature in the 76 to 82 degree range, then your plants should be fine. I keep my tanks' temps between 76 and 78 degrees. It helps to have A/C going in the summer.

B
Thanks for your reply. I live in Florida, so my A/C is always on. Typically, the temp in my tanks runs from 74 to 78 degrees F based on my indoor temperature of 70 to 74 degrees F. It seems like most plants do well in this range, so I will probably be OK. I just wanted to know if commonly kept aquarium plants had a clear temp preference, and it looks like they do: warmer water.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
A couple years ago, when my daughter was in 4th grade, she did a science fair project on this topic. She set up three 5.5 gallon tanks under shop lights in our basement. One was 60 degrees (the temp of our unheated laundry room), one was 70 degrees, and one was 80 degrees. She chose 5 species of plants, I can't remember all of them off the top of my head, but I know both anacharis and hornwort were chosen.

She found that the plants grew faster in warmer temperatures. I was surprised that the anacharis did so well at 80 degrees, as I'd heard and read that it did better in cooler temperatures. All I know is that after 4 weeks, that was a scary amount of anacharis in the warmest tank!

She won an Honorable Mention for her project. (Yes, I'm bragging )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Algae Grower

I keep discus in my display tank, and when I first cranked up the temp to 82F, I saw significant melt on pretty much all of my plants, but most of them recovered after a month or two of adjusting. I do find that there are some plants that I just can't keep alive at that temperature, though.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I kept my tank at 81F this summer, it would hit 85 some days if there was a heatwave. I was thinking to drop the temp down a bit now that fall is here (and soon winter), mostly in an attempt to keep the heater from working more than it has to.

I'll probably drop it to 76F next time I'm digging around in the tank.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by offpath View Post
I keep discus in my display tank, and when I first cranked up the temp to 82F, I saw significant melt on pretty much all of my plants, but most of them recovered after a month or two of adjusting. I do find that there are some plants that I just can't keep alive at that temperature, though.
Thanks for your reply. I thought that this would probably happen. What plants did you find that do well at Discus temperatures?

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMott View Post
I kept my tank at 81F this summer, it would hit 85 some days if there was a heatwave. I was thinking to drop the temp down a bit now that fall is here (and soon winter), mostly in an attempt to keep the heater from working more than it has to.

I'll probably drop it to 76F next time I'm digging around in the tank.
At 81-85F did you notice that your plants died? Did any of them do very well at those temps?

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Search Q10 in metabolism. For each 10C rise, you get a doubling of metabolism rates. so from 20-30C........

Also, search to see what the ambient ppm of any gas is in water as the temp rises(it will be less with higher temps in all cases).

So at cooler temps, the plants will grow slower, but this will mean it's easier to add CO2 and provide non limiting levels of CO2/ferts.

Warmer temps = less O2 in all cases.

So you start running into higher levels of ferts/CO2 required and less O2........

Cooler would be better than warmer given a choice for the plants/management. with some species of fish, 82-84F works quite well, Discus cards etc..........and a wet/dry filter set up for a planted tank(does not degas CO2 but adds O2).

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetworks View Post
At 81-85F did you notice that your plants died? Did any of them do very well at those temps?
They seemed OK. I planted them at that temp, so i didn't notice anything dying but perhaps they will grow better a bit cooler.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode