Nay 13 92.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
De-rimming 75g

Good or bad idea?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/50%)
I would say bad! Structural integrity
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just read through this thread I found

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...project-5.html

Its making me consider it more and more, but possibly doing some braces. It is a Hagen tank, and has very large silicone beads at the corners. The tank when full bows out a very small amount, may be 2-3mm.

|
|

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
A brace would be pretty much mandatory, but you could do it...I still somewhat regret de-rimming my 20g long but ah well. It's growing on me slowly but surely.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
BAD, BAD, BAD idea. On a 75 Gallon. Maybe a 2.5, a 5, or possibly even maybe a 10 gallon, but NOT a 75 gallon. No way.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i would not de-rim anything above a 15g tank. the 75g needs the center brace. you're really tempting fate if you go ahead with it.

75G Paludarium Build Thread:

filstar pimp #171
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
If the tank is not normally centre braced and has the 4 piece frame then do it, but be prepared to sand the edges because they will be sharp.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Im still considering it though.

Generally the trim on a tank is used in the manufacturing process as a guide when assembling a tank. Also, it helps protects the edges during shipping. If silicone by itself was not strong enough to hold the glass, I wouldn't see why thin plastic would really do much more the hold it all together. I found this in that other post, posted by MisterGreen

Quote:
The trim (which is generally plastic) offers LITTLE support other than providing a “cushion” between the bottom glass and stand and as well a “convenient” way to place the lid, lights, etc., on top. Of coarse the trim does certainly add to the attractiveness(mg: i like that part ), but as someone that has worked with high end aquarium manufacturers and built/repaired many myself, I can tell the reader here from an experience that the trim offers little in support and if it is necessary for support, you have a dangerously poorly built aquarium!
As well, I have removed trim from many tanks (including large ones) and filled them with water with no difference other than the unattractive aspect.

I've also removed rims from my 25g, as well as my 40g breeder without any issues so far.

|
|

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKine View Post

Generally the trim on a tank is used in the manufacturing process as a guide when assembling a tank. Also, it helps protects the edges during shipping. If silicone by itself was not strong enough to hold the glass, I wouldn't see why thin plastic would really do much more the hold it all together. I found this in that other post, posted by MisterGreen

I've also removed rims from my 25g, as well as my 40g breeder without any issues so far.
so why ask then?

75G Paludarium Build Thread:

filstar pimp #171
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bracing isn't important. You can build up to a 71" 36" 28" rimless tank. Glass thickness is what matters. Most aquariums (30g-125g) are made with 1/4"-3/8" thick glass. (6.3mm-9.5mm).

If you use this calculator for building rimless aquariums, you'll notice they recommend a minimum of 10mm glass thickness for a rimless 75g tank. If it were me I'd use 12mm.

Just measure how thick your glass is. If it's 3/8" = 9.5mm you'll be taking a risk. I wouldn't do it if it was any less.

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

l
l
l
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/50%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKine View Post

Braces are used for much more my friend normal aquarium glass will flex with the weight of water. U say it's a Hagen so maybe ur glass is thick enough. I just think ur playing with fire. Good luck. I would love to see pics of it set up and updated

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode