Increasing water circulation/oxygenation in an Iwagumi setup? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Increasing water circulation/oxygenation in an Iwagumi setup?

Title. I'm curious as to what the most efficient way to increase oxygenation and water circulation in a 20g long Iwagumi-style setup. I'm leaning away from a powerhead simply due to the bulkiness of it....but I want something that can also give more flow around the tank without taking away from the simplicity of the tank. I've currently got an HC carpet with rocks in the middle, an eheim 2215, dosing EI method (50% weekly wc included) and injecting CO2 (paintball w/ adapter and regulator) via a glass/ceramic diffuser. Also, I want to know how to increase oxygenation in the tank without creating too much splashing noise (i.e. raising lily pipes up) or clutter. A carpet of HC is the only flora I have in the tank so I don't really have any stems to hide stuff. Any and all ideas are welcome as long as they're not overly expensive. I approve of DIY projects so go wild. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by freph; 10-08-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
i'd just get a circulation pump. they are much less bulky than powerheads and not sure how big your tank is, but koralia makes decent ones and there's a few other companies that make them. the more you increase surface agitation though, the more co2 you'll lose.

other option is a bigger filter, but if you want cheap, that's not the way to go.

75G Paludarium Build Thread:

filstar pimp #171
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It's a 20g long. Updated the first post to reflect that. The 2215 is already great for the tank, so I'm not going to upgrade it unless it's absolutely necessary. Any Koralia circulator you personally recommend?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
It's a 20g long. Updated the first post to reflect that. The 2215 is already great for the tank, so I'm not going to upgrade it unless it's absolutely necessary. Any Koralia circulator you personally recommend?
they come in a bunch of sizes so i guess it depends on how much you want they have a koralia nano that does 240 gph (about 20$) and it goes up from there.

75G Paludarium Build Thread:

filstar pimp #171
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 02:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
If you have the input and output at opposite ends I'd think your circulation is pretty good. Iwagumis are pretty open and the tank being long would help the water flow from one end to the other, returning through the filter.

If you don't want to add a powerhead or create more surface agitation, you're kinda cutting every option off the bat, IMO.

Edit: I consider a koralia a powerhead.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I consider it as a circulation pump...sorry for the confusion. I define a powerhead as anything that's generally a motor head, an outflow and an intake as compared to just a propeller. Also, I have my intake and outflow at the same end because my diffuser is at the opposite end and the outflow pushes it down to allow the bubbles to better circulate throughout the tank. Also, the goal is to increase oxygenation and circulation without creating too much noise or splashing noise.

Last edited by freph; 10-08-2011 at 05:56 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Bump. Updated my posts to allow surface agitation so long as it doesn't create a splashing noise (drives me insane). Does anyone have experience with the Koralia circulation pumps? I'm guessing I could do one on the opposite side of my tank with the flow being parallel to my lily pipes....creating somewhat of a circular motion around the top of my tank. However, I don't want to have TOO much flow because the only powerhead I own right now isn't adjustable and creates too much flow for what I need (it literally displaces gravel on the other side of the tank).

Flow idea:
X = lily pipe outflow
Q = intake
C = CO2 diffuser
O = possible Koralia circulation pump
---> = flow

|Q<--------------------------O|
| ^
V |
|X-------------------------->C|

Won't let me format the side arrows right, so move the upward facing arrow to the other side of the tank.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
koralias are awesome... wide flow instead of direct force ur face off water...

Sump Pimp #7

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Recommended size for a 20g long? It'll be travelling the length of the tank (30.25"), not the width. I just need something that won't hit the other side and stir up my soil/HC.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
the koralia 240 gph would probably be ideal for what you want

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
Recommended size for a 20g long? It'll be travelling the length of the tank (30.25"), not the width. I just need something that won't hit the other side and stir up my soil/HC.
You can always direct it towards the front glass so it bounces off instead of directly flows across. But I'm not sure if a 240gph would really sir it up that far down...
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Mind giving a little more detail? I wanted to run it the length of the tank...wouldn't directing it directly at the front glass cause excess vertical flow (from bouncing off the glass) or did you mean still have it travel lengthwise, but aim it at the front glass?

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

freph u can angle it at the glass not a direct head on. i do this on my 29g.. it helps disperse the flow... it all goes one direction since its angled just without a lot of force

Sump Pimp #7

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had a koralife nano in my 20g long tank and it did great. No splashing noise and it wasn't too bulky looking in the tank either. If you have shrimp in your tank you might want to put a piece of cloth over the powerhead so nothing gets sucked up and blended. The setup I had was exactly how you imagine yours to be.

X = lily pipe outflow
Q = intake
C = CO2 diffuser
O = possible Koralia circulation pump
---> = flow

|Q<--------------------------O|
| ^
V |
|X-------------------------->C|

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 01:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

While a koralia would work, Often iniwagumi systems you want the minimum intrusion from the equipment. That's one reason why some people use lily pipes.

Another possible option would be to add a closed loop. In other word, add an addition set of intake and outflow lily pipes and rather then connecting them to a canister filter, connect them to a pump that can be use externally.

All the close loop does is increase the flow. It does no additional filtration.

Just something else to think about.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode