Sealing a Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sealing a Tank

So, I am setting up a 20g. It is a well used tank so i cut out some questionable portions of the original sealant. I re-sealed the cut out areas with a tube of all-glass silicon. This was my first time sealing anything, and I finally figured out what I was doing by the time I sealed the 4th section.

Well I jumped the gun and filled the tank with water at 43 of the prescribed 48 hours of minimum curing time. I was antsy and the 5 hours didn't seem like a big deal, so I filled the tank with water and it and I'm pretty certain it is water tight (I hope). I'm going to let the water sit over night before I drain it.

Now I'm questioning my actions and I want to know if anyone thinks those 5 hours were critical or could future problems arise. I know it's a really dumb question but i just need to hear some opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 07:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
well i dont know for sure but i guess if i were in your shoes, i would have to see what happens. You may not want to do this but you could always redo the seal? take a razor blade clean up the glass and reseal. Im a bit anal and its the only way i would be able to sleep at night, when done right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

I did a thorough inspection of the tank this morning and everything looks fine. I am going out of town this weekend and that would be a good time to redo the sealant...I wouldn't be around to mess with it as it is setting up. I have always been one to tamper with things...and many times breaking or making things worse. Hopefully the tank will be fine.

Marc I'm kind of new here. I moved down from the north bay. For LFS do you usually go to the ones in the city or are there any good ones on the peninsula worth a visit.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 11:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog
Marc I'm kind of new here. I moved down from the north bay. For LFS do you usually go to the ones in the city or are there any good ones on the peninsula worth a visit.
Salty- you and I are cities next to each other! Anyways san bruno has a shop called Aqua Traders... here is a link to their location. Visit them and come back here to tell me what you think. Dont worry i wouldnt send you to a place that sucks.

http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt=...r:regT:1:fbT:0

In the city i usually visit 6th Ave and Clement, or Nippon.

In Campbell if you are in the area, Dolphin Pet Village.

Let me know if there is something specific you are looking for.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 01:04 PM

Is this Saltydog, as in "the flesh eating beetle farm called yesterday" Saltydog?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Marc-

thanks for the advice. I'm gonna check out aqua traders next week when I get some time. thats super close. I was driving through san mateo yesterday and i noticed there was a LFS on el camino just north of hillsdale. ever been there? when i have half a day to dedicate i'm going to take the city tour a check out what down town has to offer.

Ultramouse-

Yeah, I dont know about the flesh eating beetle farm. not the same saltydog
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 06:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog
Marc-

thanks for the advice. I'm gonna check out aqua traders next week when I get some time. thats super close. I was driving through san mateo yesterday and i noticed there was a LFS on el camino just north of hillsdale. ever been there? when i have half a day to dedicate i'm going to take the city tour a check out what down town has to offer.

Ultramouse-

Yeah, I dont know about the flesh eating beetle farm. not the same saltydog
Ive been to that place if its the same one were talking about- ehhh its okay. fishtanks are clean, fish in good health. Very little plants. Supplies a little expensive.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode