so many filters so little time...... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
so many filters so little time......

Hello all
well I suppose I'll need a filter for my 55 gal tank, I've been looking around and I have a few I would like to bounce off of ya to see what you all feel is best, cost Vs value is also something I'm looking at, anyway the filters I have been looking at so fare are
Fluval 304, Eheim Classic EH2215 and the Rena Filstar xP3
I have noticed that some just use filter pads rather than a media ? and from what I can tell, and I know I'll be wrong from some stand point or another, but it seems to me a lot of the filters I'm seeing all work in the same way, so outside the price tag what am I missing from one brand to another really.
And if I didnt mention a filter you feel would be better what would it be ?
I'm sure at some point in time I'll up-grade to a better filter knowing me, but at this time I'm looking for a filter that will do a good job thats not going to cost me $300.
thanks again- James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 07:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I can start you off-

If you want a silent filter- eheim all the way.
If you want best bang for the buck- xp3.

I run a xp3 on my 55gal tank and love it. I run filter floss in all the compartments. I clean it out every 2 months. All i really use it for is mechanical filtration. I leave the bio part to the palnts
The xp3 does have a slight humming noise to it. Basically sounds like a computer with its fan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 10:52 AM

Id go with a Ehiem Pro, not the Pro 2 (as its quieter, and runs better IMO). And get the thermo version, the big three basket Mofo. That will sort your filtering needs for the next 20 years.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Algae Grower

I'm happy with my Fluval 304 in a 55G. It has a decent flow rate and is virtually silent; I do not know how it compares to others noise wise but I cannot immagine how much more quiet a tank filter can get. It sports 3 baskets and a foam pad bracket. I use ceramic disks in one (physical filtration), peat moss in two (have hard water out of the tap) and bio media in 3.

Raf

Last edited by 75sausage; 03-01-2005 at 03:13 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:30 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
I guess that just about covers the options . So, do you have your mind made up now?

FWIW, I was thinking along the same lines as Marc.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

well I think I'm going to go with the Filstar xP3 , from the reading I just did seems to be an easier filter to maintain and has less problems than the Fluval
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I run a jebo 828 and am very satisfied with it, it runs quiet and has 4 baskets for media. Plus for the price $50-$75 on ebay it is hard to beat. If you look in specific aspects -->equipment and search for Jebo there is a really thourogh review of it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode