Best way to nuke a tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best way to nuke a tank

the goldfish in my GFs nano cube got the plague and 3 out of 4 have died. The 4th one is in another Quar tank. I took the nano cube down and i'm wondering what needs to be done to clean this tank out. I'm thinking there is some terrible parasite, or bacteria that is going around, so i dont want to take any chances! Right now i have the tank set up with just tap water and a lot of aqaurium salt(not sure how much). I threw out all the old gravel as well. I have a lot of bleach and have heard of people using that to clean tanks-any ideas on what a good solution would be that wouldnt ruin the tank??? Or are there better ways to nuke a tank???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 03:06 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
bleach and HOT Boiled water?
Plus I think you are playing with fire keeping goldfish in a nano. They need LOTS of space to be healthy.... Somewhere around 10gal each is recomended
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 03:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
if you're just wanting to sterilize an empty tank, then bleach is perfect... use as much as you want, but all you really need to do is put some straight bleach in a spray bottle and all the inside until it's all dripping with bleach... let it soak for 10 minutes or so, fill it up the rest of the way with water, let it soak for another 20 minutes or so, then drain and rinse the thing REALLY well... then fill it with tap water and add 2-3x dechlorinator, let it sit yet again, then drain and rinse a final time. tank will be just as clean as the day you bought it. warm water is a good idea, but *hot* is definitely not such a great idea... I've done that with tanks before, and the sudden change in temp when draining it causes them to crack or break (lost 2 10 gallons that way... yeah, I made the same mistake at least twice... oops).

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 08:23 AM

What's the plague?

It may be that they died because there were 4 of them in a nano cube .

Goldfish are very messy and need lots of space.

IMO they belong in a pond...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
I'd have to echo the pond statement. My fishkeeping experience started with a feeder our son won at a fair. I lost two fancy goldfish that were in the 30g with it, due to my inexperience with fishkeeping. Once I got a clue, I struggled to keep this guy healthy. He grew to about 5" when, at the urging of members here, I put him in a 50g pond and got him two friends. He's very happy now- he was going stir crazy in the 30g. Goldfish like to have room to swim and won't develop properly unless they have adequate room.
Keep in mind also that if you nuke your tank, you'll start the nitrogen cycle all over again.
Hope this helps.... good luck with the one fish you've got in QT. How's it doing, btw?

30g planted with cories, white clouds, Harlequin Rasboras ,ottos.
10g planted with glowlight tetras and an otto.
Outdoor pond with one common goldfish and comets.
5.5g with endlers.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

the guy in the QT is doing fine. He was the largest fish (little over 2 inch oranda). About the pond, I have a large 3000 gallon pond at my house. But I don't see the problem with keeping small goldfish in an aquarium. Once they are big enough, then its off to the pond-Plus, the smaller orandas will almost surley die in the warmer months because of the aggressive nature of the koi. For all those goldfish fans out there, there is no other fish that is as personable as a goldie. They are like little water puppies and though I have a planted tank of my own with rams, rasboras, cories, otos, nothing compares to goldfish. But i do agree that 4 goldfish in 12 gallons was too much. Hopefully this last oranda will survive and he can have the nanocube all to himself.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 12:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
If you want to nuke a tank, there is no better way IMO than with H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide). It oxidizes pretty much everything similar to bleach...the good thing is that it breaks down on it's own with just light and time. Bleach on the other hand would take numerous rinsings and dechlor treatments. For a nano cube, just fill it with water and dump in one of those $1.50 1L bottles that you can get at your local market or drugstore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode