Filter Solutions for a 5 gallon hex - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Filter Solutions for a 5 gallon hex

I have a 5 gallon hex that I would like to set back up. While cleaning it up earlier today, I found that the filter no longer works. I don't know what happened to it, since it worked fine a couple of months ago when I took down the tank.

A replacement pump assembly is $11 at petmountain plus another $7 for shipping. Should I get this one, or should I try some other type of filter. A different filter, like a HOB, would require modifying the hood, or removing the hood and using a different light. That might not be a bad thing, though, since this tank is a pita to get into. The tank right now has a 13 watt mini spiral cfl light. If I got a new filter, I would probably use a desk lamp to light it.

I plan to plant the tank and put my betta back in it. It used to be his home, before I kicked him out to try my hand at shrimp (that failed, so now he gets his home back).

What would you do? Buy the replacement filter assembly, or modify the hood to use a different filter, or just remove the hood entirely and use a lamp and HOB filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
How tall is your tank? Do you just want a low tech tank? Either way will work it just depends on what your goals are.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It is the little Marineland 5 gallon hex. It is approx 12 inches tall to the top of the actual tank and about 10-11 inches across. I plan on it being low tech, no dosing other than excel.

I went ahead and set it up without the filter for now. It looks pretty bare, since I just planted it with plants that I stole from my 29 gallon. The initial plant I tried to use (because I had way more of it) kept floating, so I went with this smaller leaved stem plant since it stayed put.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-07-11_1505.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	35803  

Click image for larger version

Name:	10-07-11_1506.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	35804  

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 02:17 AM
Planted Member

I would go with the desk lamp hob filter combo your hood probably wont have enough light for those plants.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
can't get lower tech than an undergavel filter and they work AWESOME
they perform biological function.. circulate water through the root system, and provide surface agitation if run off an airstone... how much easier can u get??

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

You won't find an under gravel filter to fit this tank. My options are replace the filter assemble and keep it stock, buy an HOB and either modify the hood or remove it and use a desk lamp for light, or buy a mini canister filter and either modify the hood or remove it. The hood right now is using a 13 watt daylight mini cfl, instead of the stock style tube bulb. It has been enough to grow plants the last time this tank was set up, before I neglected it and then tore it down.

Replacing the stock filter assembly would be cheapest. Using an HOB or mini canister could be interesting, though. Especially if I were to remove the hood and use a desk lamp. An open top look could look nice, and might even make an interesting riparium style tank.

What would you do with it? Easy, cheap way that works... or something that may be neater if you do it right, but might cost a little more...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Algae Grower

I had a tank just like that, and it came with an under gravel filter. Look around, they may still be out there.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

uh. buy a small square one...

Sump Pimp #7

Last edited by HD Blazingwolf; 10-12-2011 at 05:22 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
You could use a sponge filter. I have a single betta in a 5 gallon and I use the Hydor Elite mini internal filter - I LOVE that little thing! Works great and it's small. But it's rated for 3g so if you have any kind of real bio load in the tank it probably wouldn't be the best choice. But for a light bio load like a betta it's perfect. Oh and the flow is adjustable (both intenisty and direction) which the betta appreciates. I use the same filter in my 2.5g tank. Can't say enough good things about it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

sponges are great! i didn't mean my last comment to be rude in any way so please don't take it that way. i was jsut throwing it out there. undergravel filters don't have to be perfect fit to work properly

Sump Pimp #7

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Algae Grower

a little diy canister filter would be a cool project for this. I'm made a few and they worked great. If you already have a small pump you can do it for about $5.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode