Whats the best snails? Does that algae killer stuff work? - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 193
Unhappy Whats the best snails? Does that algae killer stuff work?

I want some small snails that eat the crap out of algae and dead plant matter but wont touch my live plants. I was thinking about trumpet snails, are those ok? Or perhaps rams horn snails. I have some gold mystery snails and they do a terrific job but they got too big and i had to take them out and put them in another tank because they are like bulldozers. On a side note does that algae killing stuff they sell at the stores work? I was thinking about using it but i dont want to harm my plants at all, or my fish, and especially not my shrimp or E. Stelleta!!!!! I bought some Ottos and they are doing the job somewhat but i need something else to help me out.
morinfen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Canoe2Can's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Indiana, PA
Posts: 766
As for snails, I'm no expert, but I've heard that ramshorn are good because they don't multiply like mad. Other folks round here recommend the Malaysian ones.

As for the algae killer stuff, save your money. I used to use it, and it never worked. Algae is just a natural part of a planted tank, and the best way to deal with it is to control it. I've got my nutrients pretty well balanced now, and it is on the retreat. Hopefully.
Canoe2Can is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 03:48 PM
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe2Can
As for snails, I'm no expert, but I've heard that ramshorn are good because they don't multiply like mad. Other folks round here recommend the Malaysian ones.
You're "no expert," but you're going to say "ramshorn" on a forum called "Planted Tank"?


Pomacea Bridgesii and MTS are plant safe. You'd use a ramshorn to get rid of the invasive plants.
k_the_c is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 04:23 PM
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,165
fact of the matter is, controlling your macro nutrients will control 99% of your algae. The remaining 1% is what your ottos, SAE's and plant-safe snails would take care of.
malkore is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 193
OK so what im using right now is i got flourish plant tabs in the substrate then im adding flourish iron and regular flourish. Is this good? Does anybody know what a good dosing schedule for this would be? I always do my water changes on sundays religiously usually 25%, and occasionally another 10% during the week. Also after every water change i add some beneficial bacteria in with the dechlorinator. The malaysians sound good to me because i have a sandy substrate, i already have a couple tiny ramshorn snails in my tank, along with some pond snails (i try to keep the pond snails at a minimum and kill them when i see them). So malaysians only eat dead plant matter and algae right? I had a SAE in the past and i do not like them, currently my 3 ottos seem pretty decent because they are real gentle with my plants and just kinda hang around with each other, they are nice little fish.
morinfen is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Canoe2Can's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Indiana, PA
Posts: 766
Yup, I'm no expert, but I've heard. Is there some logical inconsistency in this statement? Just passing along info I heard from someone who did claim to be an expert.

If I've heard incorrectly, I'm glad to know otherwise. That's the point of a forum, to learn together.

Last edited by Canoe2Can; 03-02-2005 at 01:12 AM.
Canoe2Can is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome