20 gallon young cichlid tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
20 gallon young cichlid tank

I set have a 20 gallon tank for two young ciclids, I say they bout 2-3 inches apiece. one a augures cichlid and the others a snow flake cichlid, with two Cory cats. it well planted with fake plants and a zebra stone. they don't fight at all. the tanks been up for a good couple of weeks.

but recently since I moved their tank from my upstairs room to the living room(been up in that room for a bout 2-3 weeks, I have noticed a loss in eating. can any help

ps: I know I will have to move them into a bigger tank when they bigger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)
How is their water quality? Did you keep all the water when moving them or did you dump it and replace it?

What are you feeding them and how often? Have you tried any other food? My cichlids love the crap out of bloodworm cubes, try giving them some of those.

I'd also go ahead and look into a bigger tank. They like to swim through rocks and such, and a 20gal doesn't exactly have a lot of space for decorations/rockwork.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
a 40g reef
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do my once a week water changes. according to the master kit I have, only the water hardness is high. they are feed blood worm cubes, mini cichlid pellets and cichlid crisp( the crisp they don't care for cause it floats for a bit before sinking)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I offer bout 10 a day to start with and if they take it I offer a few more, they blood worm every 3 days
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusewolf View Post
I do my once a week water changes. according to the master kit I have, only the water hardness is high. they are feed blood worm cubes, mini cichlid pellets and cichlid crisp( the crisp they don't care for cause it floats for a bit before sinking)
My angels just started being okay with the crisps, I just wanted to give them a bit of variety and they hated them til last night lol.

A higher hardness is good, cichlids typically like that, though I have no idea if yours are Rift Lake cichlids, Google turned up nothing on an "augures cichlid", and no real information on whether a snowflake cichlid is actually a snowflake cichlid. Pics would help. Where did you get them? Do you have genus & specie names for them?
Quote:
I offer bout 10 a day to start with and if they take it I offer a few more, they blood worm every 3 days
10 a day of what?

a 40g reef
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

got them at petco the augutres look http://www.google.com/m/search?site=...chlid&sa=N#i=0
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

the snowflake looks like http://www.google.com/m/search?site=...hlid&sa=N#i=10

these pics are 100% matchs of cichlids
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

these are names petco called them
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

my bad I offer them 10 peices of the mini pellets
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

one more qustion: I chosse these two cichlids cause they are suppose to among the smaller end of the cichlids. but currently they like to hide and it make my tank look barren and voidless of life. I was think of trying to introduce a few swordtails while are my cichlids are young, cause I have heard then sometime if cichlids grow up with some other peaceful species of fish, that the cichlids will get along fing them. do u think I should try it
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
got them at petco the augutres look http://www.google.com/m/search?site=...chlid&sa=N#i=0
Really? The article you linked doesn't say "augures" or "augutres". The picture is of a Convict Julie cichlid, Julidochromis regani. They do not sell these at Petco. They sell Auratus cichlids, Melanochromis auratus that look like this:

Quote:
the snowflake looks like http://www.google.com/m/search?site=...hlid&sa=N#i=10

these pics are 100% matchs of cichlids
That seems to be a picture of an albino zebra cichlid, which Petco sells.
Google turns up only a snowflake discus when you search for "snowflake cichlid".

a 40g reef
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

my bad, got a bit confused.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
one more qustion: I chosse these two cichlids cause they are suppose to among the smaller end of the cichlids. but currently they like to hide and it make my tank look barren and voidless of life. I was think of trying to introduce a few swordtails while are my cichlids are young, cause I have heard then sometime if cichlids grow up with some other peaceful species of fish, that the cichlids will get along fing them. do u think I should try it
No. Only keep cichlids with cichlids (not with angelfish or discus, though they are cichlids, as well). Also, typically, only keep same-type cichlids (ie mbuna, peacock, etc), though I have had success so far keeping a mixture of them.

Unfortunately, in that small tank, I wouldn't add any other fish at all. You'll need a larger tank, plain and simple. I would overstock them to keep their aggression down, but I wouldn't keep them in that 20.

a 40g reef
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

when u say over stock, what exactly do u mean. are u saying a should put more cichlids in there with them
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yes I know I will upgrade their tank once they get bigger

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode