DSM Questions: photoperiod, spray vs. fill - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation DSM Questions: photoperiod, spray vs. fill

Greetings everyone,

Used to post on here years ago, got out of the hobby for a few years and have graciously returned.

I've got a few quick questions regarding the DSM. I've set up a 20g with 9 liters of aquasoil, 65w 6,700k and HC is the plant I am attempting to grow in.
I've read about two different methods, one involves filling to submerge the substrate, and the other claims that merely spraying your HC twice a day will grow it the same way. Which is the best route? Currently I have been spraying, keeping everything humid...

Also, how long can I keep the light on for? Will anything over 12 hours be wise?

Here are some boring pic's:

And no, I am not spraying my plants with glass cleaner.... that's RO water in there I swear!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4193.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	35620  

Name:	_MG_4197.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	35621  

Name:	_MG_4198.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	35622  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

After doing some more searching here and investigating other's attempts at what I am doing, I decided to add some water (about one gallon) to saturate the substrate .. not to the point of pooling anywhere though, the slant from front to back is not very steep.

Added an airline to create some circulation, should this be run 24/7?

I've also got an undertank snake heat pad, the warmth will be good for the roots, yeah?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_4205.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	35641  

Name:	_MG_4207.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	35642  

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Bump

Perhaps this belongs in the viviarium forum, just figured that my questions would be answered more quickly here....

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I think what you doing is fine and I dont think it goes in the viviarium forum because eventually you are planning on filling it right?

I have heard people misting with excel as well.
I would stick to 8 hr photo and the heated substrate is a good idea as well.
Never heard of using an air line.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
With the dry start method, you can run your lights super-high and for long periods of time. I usually do 12-14 hours per day with no problem.

As far as misting with Excel... it's not necessary. I occasionally use a super-diluted bit of it if algae begins to grow. You can also air things out a bit if that occurs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Looks like your are giving a lot of TLC. Most people just Saran wrap the top, open it enough to mist one a day , and hang a light on it for 10hrs. I'm doing just that with a 20L full of Crpyts and a 20L full of Downoi. My plants are doing great.

I'm getting closer now to moving the Crypts so I started to fill that tank with water. They will be wet for another month+ before they get transplanted.

PS - I used MTS in those tanks, mist with distilled water.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Everything seems to be doing good since filling to soak the aquasoil. I estimate the temperature stays fairly warm within the tank, you can actually see mist circulating inside. Smells like a greenhouse when crack the side of the seranwrap! The airpump is doing a good job at keeping the air fresh, I've got two groupings of tiny tooth-pick poked holes in the back corners which provides adequate venting.

I really screwed up by not adding a hardscape . . . to throw in some of the piece of bowl rock I have might not be the easiest thing to do at this point. . .

I was thinking of venturing up into the manzanita woods nearby and look for some branches to bring back and work on for the tank, no way in hell I'm buying some at a shop when I can get it from the source, heh.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode