Ways to increase water flow - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
Ways to increase water flow

For the sake of evenly dispersing nutrients for plants, what are some ways to increase water flow/surface agitation without using ugly powerheads or loud air pumps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowschwitz View Post
For the sake of evenly dispersing nutrients for plants, what are some ways to increase water flow/surface agitation without using ugly powerheads or loud air pumps?
pump or more gph rated filter.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've been wanting to try this Hydor Flo for those exact reasons. Anyone use this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQwjlhUbFac

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

l
l
l

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The Koralia type powerheads are small considering how much water they move, and they come with magnetic mountings so you can secure them in any part of the tank, where they are unobtrusive. I find them to be the best way to maintain water surface ripple, as well as improving the circulation of water in the tank.

That Hydor Flo device seems to convert any powerhead to a rotating output, Koralia like flow, but I haven't even seen one, let alone trying it.

Hoppy
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 05:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
The Koralia type powerheads are small considering how much water they move, and they come with magnetic mountings so you can secure them in any part of the tank, where they are unobtrusive. I find them to be the best way to maintain water surface ripple, as well as improving the circulation of water in the tank.

That Hydor Flo device seems to convert any powerhead to a rotating output, Koralia like flow, but I haven't even seen one, let alone trying it.
I was truly surprised how much flow my little aqueon knockoff produced lol, great bang for the buck.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 05:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)
I have tried the Koralia type that hoppy recommended and it works very well. The swivel function and the magnet mount is great.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
Actually, do I even need more circulation for my 10 gallon? My little filter does 79 g/h.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
My only comment is the video should have been labeled "Starfish goes Deaf" that was a loud tank, but the little spinning powerhead was cool.

I use JBJ circulation pumps with a wave maker and they work good for now, but I also run 2 filters (2x2215) and have started to upgrade to the 2217 which is double in flow. I have one installed and the second arrives today, this will allow me to try my new spraybar that reaches from the substrate to the water surface to create flow for the whole tank and I should be able to remove the 2 pumps.

But there is no other way to get good flow and it is very important in keeping a healthy tank, good luck.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Lily pipes.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
Lily pipes.

Never heard of these before but they are pretty cool:
http://www.adgshop.com/Lily_Pipes_s/48.htm
Lily‑pipe‑P2‑3.jpg

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode