I just cant win - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I just cant win

Hi Everyone
ok so Ive been having problems with dust on my plants and my tank being way too dark. So I go to my lps and buy "red sea flora base to cover Caribsea Floramax. I put about a inch of the rs over the cf and love it. Im so happy with how it looks. Then I read it turns to cr*p after a year and needs to be replaced! Why would they make something like that? I cant imagine having to take all my plants fish shrimp and snails out next year to replace this stuff. I give up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:19 PM
JSA
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by partobe View Post
... I cant imagine having to take all my plants fish shrimp and snails out next year to replace this stuff. I give up
Hey, don't give up! A tank re-do is really not a big deal. In fact it's a great opportunity to try a new aquascape if you want. You can do it in an afternoon.

Make sure you have everything you need ahead of time. Get whatever substrate you've chosen ready by rinsing if necessary.

You'll need two clean buckets. Siphon tank water in to one a clean bucket with an air stone and a heater, and net as many fish as you can to go in there.

Fill the other bucket and pull your plants to go in the second bucket along with your filter media and decorations. Net any remaining fish for the first bucket.

Siphon out as much water as possible. Then line a garbage can with a strong bag and scoop out the substrate. (If you are not decontaminating the tank, leave as much or as little of the substrate as you need. The mulm will help to prevent a minicycle.)

Add the new substrate, rescape to your liking with decor, and fill partway with water at the correct temperature. Add back your plants and finish filling. Get the filter running, add dechlor, return your pets to their home, and you're done.

Julia

It's just a box of rain....
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Slow down bro. What exactly did you read happens to it after a year?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Julia and Chris
Julia thats just what I wanted to avoid but it wouldnt be the first time Ive done it. Ive moved twice with 150 reef tank so I guess your right.
Chris I read it turns to mush after a year and slowly goes into the water until the tank is nothing but a cloudy mess. I did also see where some people it has lasted over 2 yrs its just that I never thought to ask Oh will this turn to cr*p after a yr?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSA View Post
Hey, don't give up! A tank re-do is really not a big deal. In fact it's a great opportunity to try a new aquascape if you want. You can do it in an afternoon.
+1 to that!

I haven't used or researched Floramax. It may be that the slow decomposition is by design to release nutrients, or maybe there's just some bad batches out there.

Take a bit of it, rinse it well, soak it overnight in a small container with a bit of water. Then repeatedly freeze and thaw it, a half dozen times. After that, give it a good handling. Is it soft? Easily crushable? Can you rub material off it?

If not, it should hold together in your aquarium for many years.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Chris
Ill take some and soke it tonight and start freezing it tomorrow. It does say on the bag replace every year.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 03:40 AM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by partobe View Post
Thanks Julia and Chris
Julia thats just what I wanted to avoid but it wouldnt be the first time Ive done it. Ive moved twice with 150 reef tank so I guess your right.
Chris I read it turns to mush after a year and slowly goes into the water until the tank is nothing but a cloudy mess. I did also see where some people it has lasted over 2 yrs its just that I never thought to ask Oh will this turn to cr*p after a yr?
No experience here with that substrate, but if you have successfully moved a reef tank, this one should be a piece of cake to fix if needed.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks bpb
Yeah I guess you all are right and by then maybe by then Ill know more what Im doing. I can promise this next time I will ask as much as I can about everything. I dont blame the lps salesman I blame myself for not asking.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode