Help! Sick babies! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help! Sick babies!

Hi,
In my 10 gallon, my two fancy goldfish have Ich, or what I think to be Ich. The black moor in particular is covered with small white bumps, but both him and my ryukin are laying on the ground (except when food is offered). At least they're still eating.

I've treated now twice with Tetra's Ick Guard, followed 24hrs later with a 50% water change. There seems to be no change in their health, and I'm beginning to fear I'll lose both of them (tragic, cause I just bought another 36 gallon to move them to).

I'm also afraid that my freshwater 36 gallon will become infected. LFS owner says it can if I've shared nets, filter material...etc. I seeded it via the 10 gallon's filter and substrate encased in netting. No spots so far on these fish, but I'm scared!

Any advise would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Can you post a pic?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Generally ich is a symptom of underlying problem be it disease,tank condition,change in environment,or recent injury. I have heard people say that all fish have ich,but it takes something to make it break out so to speak.

I'm not 100% sure with goldfish since they like cold water, but raising the temp 4-5 deg. And adding aquarium safe salt is a good way of treating it,you can google search it for the exact method.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have uploaded a photo and hope it helps.

As for water parameters, I check them every week when I check my freshwater. The pH is a little higher then my Amazon tank, but I'm also not treating it with Blackwater solution.

Last test was Thursday, 23rd. Ammonia and Nitrite were 0, Nitrate at 5.0, and pH at 7.4.

The only thing I can think might be stressing them is when I purchased my second group of tetras, a fry (approx 1/8th an inch and mainly transparent) was in the bag with them. Rather then introduce the unknown species fry to my community tank, I put it in with my Goldfish. It's now 2/3" long and developing fine. I'm thinking guppy, due to tail length in proportion to the rest of the body. Anyhow, that's the only think that's changed in the tank.

Again, any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dolls 063.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	35279  

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I've used salt (for salt water aquariums) @ 1 teaspoon per 10gal, SLOWLY raise the heat to 80. The 2nd day 50% water change. The 3rd day repeat the salt. The 4th day 50% water change, then days 5,6,7,8 50% water changes.

Feed light once a day until they start to look & act healthy. Then feed lightly 2Xs a day.

After you get this fixed, read up on the use of a Q-Tank for future fish.

Here's a good link that explains about using salt with fancy gold fish: http://exoticgoldfish.net/care.html

When I had Orandas I tried it and they looked better color wise, they even seemed to swim better.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks!

I purchased aquarium salt and have treated the tank. Because of the temperature here, the tank is ~79 anyways. I will do a 50% water change tomorrow and fingers crossed, they'll start recovering.

Any idea how long before I start seeing an improvement in their health? I hate seeing them so inactive.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
I have no advice but I just wanted to say they are beautiful! Poor guys. I hope they are back to normal soon for you!

~June
2500g koi pond, 56g community tank, 29g community tank
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Junko! I hope they both regain their health too! They're already being more active since salting.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Good Luck keep us update please
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicalrose View Post

Any idea how long before I start seeing an improvement in their health? I hate seeing them so inactive.
If your always at 79...you could push it up a bit low 80s...SLOWLY. What that does is speeds up the Ick life cycle. They feed on your fish, drop off to the gravel, eggs, eggs hatch, get on your fish again.

That's why 1 water change is NOT enough. We want to suck out as much of those little ICKers as we can. That's why you'll need to renew the salt too. Don't just pull water out, clean the gravel.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Im not sure about freshwater but when I had a reef tank we would treat it with garlic. Soak your fishes fav food in garlic juice and feed them that everyday until gone it always worked for my sw fish.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 01:08 AM
Planted Member

that is the most gorgeous black moor I've ever seen!! Really hoping that they pull through for you!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Dogfish:
I will purchase a heater tomorrow to help push up the temperature and plan to do a 50% water change prior to installing it. Then will probably re-salt the following day, day after water change cycle until they improve.
When I say "water change", I include as thorough a vacumning as I can. I never just change the water because I know how messy goldfish, in particular, can be.

GoldenTetra: Thank-you. Oddly, he was completely black a couple of months ago, with the exception of his abdomen (which has always been gold-ish). I researched this a bit and some change colour with age and/or when the temperature gets warmer.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok! I'm still needing help.

I performed a 50% water change today (which always includes gravel siphoning) and re-added aquarium salt. I also purchased a heater and am bringing the temperature up to the low 80's as per DogFish's suggestion. Also, to aid in filtration I have put in a more powerful filter (one meant for a 30 gallon - I have a 10) to hopefully aid in keeping the water a better quality (I know goldfish are super messy).

Looking at Sakura (my Ryukin), she has developed a secondary infection of Bacterial Fin Rot. Paul (the moor) is showing signs now too! His underside is obviously tearing a bit. I am treating this with Melafix, a natural tea tree treatment.

Is there hope in these guys recovering or am I just prolonging their suffering? Should I treat with Ick Guard as well as Melafix and Salt? They are still eating when offered food (once a day) so this gives me some hope. I've enclosed a photo of them, because I've noticed Paul's tail is "shedding" the ich and I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Again, any help in saving these guys is really appreciated!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Right...and the picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aquar 001.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	35332  

Tags
goldfish, ich, sick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode