Fluval Plant Stratum ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Fluval Plant Stratum ?

Hi Everyone!
As most of you know Im having problems with dust on the leaves of my plants. I used Caribsea Floramx(about 3 inches). I love the look but there are always fine particles floating around and each morn my leaves are covered with dust. I posted a thread asking for a quick growing ground cover and decided to look for clover. I also called my lps and they suggested Fluval Plant Straum. Im not wanting to replace what I have just find someway to keep the dust down and if that means putting a layer over it then Im all for that. I just dont want to put another layer that will cause more dust. My plan is to add a layer along with clover. Have you guys used FPS? Would fine gravel work just as well?
Thanks
patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Have you used the search function or checked the Substrate subsection of the forum to see if others have had a similar experience?

As Hoppy and others explained regarding your current substrate, you have to give it time to settle. If I remember correctly, it's just been a week or so of cloudiness. You could add a sponge filter or just give it a few weeks to settle properly.

Adding just about any substrate on top of what you currently have will add to the cloudiness. Fluval Stratum is best used when you don't rinse it and slowly add water to the tank after creating a dry scape.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks somewhatshocked
my tank has been up for over 2 months now. I have 2 hob filtes both have sponges. I just know my plants arent getting the light they need because they are covereed in dust.
here are a cpl of pix. I just cleanned these leaves lastnight before I went to bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dusty leaves 001.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	35248  

Click image for larger version

Name:	dusty leaves 002.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	35249  

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've got the exact issue and I hate the stuff!! I'm just biding my time until I get a new tank so I can get rid of teh stuff. I'll be following this though to see if you can find a fix for it! I have a little bag of gravel in my closet I've been meaning to try on top of it, so I'll let you know if it helps.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks DishyFishy sorry your going through this as well. Im going to have to cover it up one way or the other. I just put it in so I cant just take everything out and replace it. It reads that you can use only this if you like for planted tanks it should say use for bttm layer. Ill let you know how it goes.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If it helps, I've set my aquarium up with Fluval (from the ground up, mind you) just over a month ago. I also applied a thin layer of gravel on top. I can report that there is no dust accumulation on any of the plants in my tank, and they're actually thriving. I've had to trim back my Ozelot twice now. The only downside, is when you siphon the gravel it does dirty the water slightly, but the filter clears it in an hour or so. I've also heard EcoComplete offers a fantastic plant substrate (it was impossible for me to find it in any LFS in my areas-hence I went with Fluval)

I'm not saying that you should re-do your tank, but if the substrate you have is bothersome, then why let it taint your enjoyment of it? Just saying....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Musicalrose
I ended up with "redsea flora base" He had both and suggested with my plants this one. I already like it better my tank looks twice as bright with this in it. I put about an inch to a inch and a half on top of what I had. Its still a littl cloudy . I will let you guys know more tomorrow
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
If you guys use a gravel vacuum and vacuum the substrate a few times in a row for the next week you should rid yourself of any dust issues your having. I had the same problem with ADA AS and after a couple weeks of vacuuming the sub everything was good to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks bsmith
i had been doing that for the last 3 weeks and it didnt help at all. Im hoping now that its covered the dust will get better
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:43 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I set up a Fluval Flora with the included Stratum and it was cloudy for the first 2 days, since then zero issues with dust.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode