trouble cleaning a heavily planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
trouble cleaning a heavily planted tank

Hi I currently have a 25 gallon that I have had running for 6 months now and my plants have grown like crazy...I have trimmed them down several times but they are growing so wild it makes it really hard for me to clean the substrate, I am at the point where i would like to take the fish out and the plants out and clean the tank and place everyone back in but i honestly am not sure how to go about this ..not sure if i should just take out all the plants and leave the fish in while i clean or what...i would love any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
There is no need to "wash" the substrate. As long as the tank is not totally overstocked, and you do regular water changes, just enjoy your tank. You can vacuum the gravel a bit if there is too much accumulation of detritus (=fish poop etc), but many of us planted tankers don't even do that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i dont mean to wash the substrate i mean I can't vaccuum it because of all of the plants in the way so I didnt know if I should take out the plants to vaccuum its pretty nasty

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

there's so much of it in one corner of my tank that it looks like a pile of dirt now hahaha. It pretty much is dirt after it all decomposes!

It's normal and I think it makes my tank look more natural. I've set the flow to clear the front viewing area though. There's no need to vacuum it up really.

^^^Fraternity of Dirt #29 >>>>>As below, so above and beyond, I imagine. Drawn outside the lines of reason. Push the envelope. Watch it bend.<<<<<
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Cleaning a Well Planted Tank

Hello Lil...

Actually, a well planted tank is extremely easy to clean. Once a week, you change 50 percent of the water and rinse the filter media in some of the old water, trim the plants that need it and you're done. No extensive vacuuming is necessary.

Algae can be an issue with a tank that's still maturing, but there are tools for scraping it from the front of the tank, which is all that needs to be done.

Once your tank matures, could take a year or more, the algae issue, if there still is one, will be minimal. Eventually, the plants will use up the nutrients available and the algae will die back.

I have a couple of low light, low tech 30 Gs and both are well planted. I've had them running for a couple of years. Changing out half the water, rinsing the filter media and/or replacing it, trimming the plants a bit and putting everything back together takes about 45 minutes per tank. You'll get better and faster, just takes a little practice.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."

Last edited by BBradbury; 09-26-2011 at 05:21 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Algae Grower

Just keep changing the water and don't worry to much about the gravel vac. The worst thing to do is to disturbe the "good" bacteria in the substrate and created a mini-cycle. Avoid the urge to break down the tank and scrubing it. Water changing is always the planted tank's best friend.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFish View Post
Just keep changing the water and don't worry to much about the gravel vac. The worst thing to do is to disturbe the "good" bacteria in the substrate and created a mini-cycle. Avoid the urge to break down the tank and scrubing it. Water changing is always the planted tank's best friend.
+1 on this, can't stress it enough. What is the substrate?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yep, I have never vacuumed my densely planted tank, and all the livestock is fine.mmthe plants will make use ofnthe poop. Just do water changes.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone! I guess I shall leave it as it is.. my substrate is eco complete
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpatty19 View Post
Thanks everyone! I guess I shall leave it as it is.. my substrate is eco complete
At six months, your plants should be established enough to be able to siphon enough debris from them. Simply stick the tube over the plant and watch the debris fly up the tube. I've not had any of the plants in my 75g uproot while doing this (it's been running almost 2 years). However, some plants like gunk, my Blyxa Japonica does, so I steer clear of them while doing a wc.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

watch out with what the other people have said with the starting a "mini cycle" as it just happened to me... I decided that my gravel looked a bit dirty and decided that I was going to syphon the gravel, so I did and I ended up starting a new cycle!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 11:27 PM
JSA
Algae Grower

What are your water parameters? If your tank is cycled and your nitrates are reasonable, don't worry about the substrate.

If your nitrates are sky high or the degree of waste and decomposition is resulting in ammonia or nitrites, you'll need to take a look at what's going on, and remove as much of waste as you can without disturbing the plants.

Julia

It's just a box of rain....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode