When is my tank/equipment safe to use after bleaching?
I just bleached my QT after a bad batch of fish died, along with the heater, filter, tank cover, siphon and tubing, and fish net. It's a 10G tank, and I added maybe 2/3 of a gallon of Clorox bleach and mixed it with water, let it soak for maybe an hour or two, and then emptied it and soaked the equipment in a 5G bucket with water and also filled the tank up with water and stuck the empty Aquaclear filter on it so I could move the water.
To both the bucket and the tank I added a ton of Prime (25x overdose to the bucket and maybe 5-10x overdose to the tank). I left it running for about 7 days now, and the water in the tank is forming some bubbles/foam on the surface and has also become very cloudy. As far as the stuff in the bucket goes, I pulled out the siphon and tubing and the tubing was slimy and looked milky white instead of its usual color.
Anybody have any insight as to whether or not that's normal? Is it due to bleaching or extra Prime? I emptied both the bucket and tank and refilled them both with new water, and this time I did more normal Prime dosages (1.5x on the tank and maybe 2-3x on the bucket because the bucket is so small and I just put 1mL of Prime in anyway).
Should I get some media in the filter and seed it with some floss from my main tank to see if bacteria will grow and I can establish a cycle? If bacteria can grow, I assume that that means it'll be safe to put fish in?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.