questions about my growing tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
questions about my growing tank

so i have had my tank for about two months and its doing great i do have two important questions i would like answered i will be putting photos on later.

1. my tank is now growing in plant size and its hopefully going to get foresty but does this mean i will have to start doing co2 and ferts, if so wich method is better?
2. i have quite the amount of fish im almost done stocking with
2x paradise fish 2x bosemani rainbows, 2x corys 2x platies 3x amanos
im just wondering if these fish will get together in the long run? And my paradise seem to be pushing around my bosemanis is this just because the have only been in the tank ten minutes or what?
thankyou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman333 View Post
1. my tank is now growing in plant size and its hopefully going to get foresty but does this mean i will have to start doing co2 and ferts, if so wich method is better?
It's not an absolute necessity. I've seen many very nice walstad tanks that run on limited nutrients. If you limit nutrients then you'll have limited growth. The reason people add CO2, fertilize, etc., is because they want faster growth and providing unlimited nutrients is a good way to get this result. If you want to do this try the EI dosing method and get a pressurized CO2 sytsem. Carbon is the most important plant nutrient and getting CO2 stable and consistent is vital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman333 View Post
2. i have quite the amount of fish im almost done stocking with
2x paradise fish 2x bosemani rainbows, 2x corys 2x platies 3x amanos
im just wondering if these fish will get together in the long run? And my paradise seem to be pushing around my bosemanis is this just because the have only been in the tank ten minutes or what?
thankyou
Paradise fish are really aggressive. They're like betta's on steriods.

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
l
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
l
l
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Banned

thanks blue jack but will these paradise fish do anything serious its a male and female pair so will they bother eachother, also with more plants will there be less of a chance of that they will fight also my paradise fish are about full grown i think so will they be any more agressive than they are now.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The male can get aggressive with the female and other fish, especially around mating. Plants and hiding places do help, but not if the tank is small. I don't think they'll outright kill any of your fish, just make life really stressful. You might notice a fish residing in the top corner of your tank to stop getting picked on.

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

l
l
l
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

ok i think i will just monitor it and get some floating plants i need some any way so i will see what is happening. i am most conserned about my shrimp though the paradise fish dont seem to be bothering them and i do feed them a carnivore diet.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode