Question on lighting a 65G? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question on lighting a 65G?

I am obsessed - and thinking around the December timefram converting my 65G fresh to Live Planted.

I realize lighting and CO2 are important. I am wokring on better understanding CO2.

For lighting however, I am confused. For example:
"USA Nova Extreme 36" 2X39W T-5 10,000K - Freshwater"
http://www.bigalspets.com/Current-US...Rank=salesrank

^ Would be a properly sized light for my tank - However, that equals 78 Watts and far less than 2 WPG - I know WPG is not the golden rule, and many other variables come into play...but is this a sufficient source for most plants, or merely low light?

Please explain...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The tank is 24 inches high. If you have 2 inches of substrate, a light sitting on top of the tank will be about 22 inches from the substrate. At that distance a T5HO, single bulb light, with a typical very good reflector should give you about 50 micromols of PAR. So, a two bulb light of that quality should give you 100 micromols of PAR. But, the Nova Extreme light doesn't have typical very good reflectors, so it should give you less light, perhaps 30-40 micromols of PAR per bulb.

You only need around 40-50 micromols of PAR to grow just about any plant you want to grow, as long as you also use CO2.

A tank that is 18 inches front to back depth will not generally get uniform lighting from a single bulb light, or even a 2 bulb light with close together bulbs, if the light sits right on top of the tank. If the light is raised a foot or so above the top of the tank you can get pretty uniform lighting. So, if you raised that Nova Extreme light a foot above the top of the tank, about 34 inches from the substrate, you should get around 30 micromols of PAR, which isn't enough light for many plants. If you compromise and raise it only about 6 inches above the top of the tank, about 28 inches from the substrate, you should get about 40-50 micromols, which is a very good light level to have.

Personally, I would consider a light with better reflectors, so I could raise it a bit higher, then run the tank with no glass on top - open topped. The disadvantage is the shadow of the brace across the top. That might convince me that a better idea would be to have Catalina Aquarium make me a custom light with two bulbs, but separated about 8 inches, so I could sit it on top of the tank, without getting too much light.

As always, there are many options available.

Hoppy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
The tank is 24 inches high. If you have 2 inches of substrate, a light sitting on top of the tank will be about 22 inches from the substrate. At that distance a T5HO, single bulb light, with a typical very good reflector should give you about 50 micromols of PAR. So, a two bulb light of that quality should give you 100 micromols of PAR. But, the Nova Extreme light doesn't have typical very good reflectors, so it should give you less light, perhaps 30-40 micromols of PAR per bulb.

You only need around 40-50 micromols of PAR to grow just about any plant you want to grow, as long as you also use CO2.

A tank that is 18 inches front to back depth will not generally get uniform lighting from a single bulb light, or even a 2 bulb light with close together bulbs, if the light sits right on top of the tank. If the light is raised a foot or so above the top of the tank you can get pretty uniform lighting. So, if you raised that Nova Extreme light a foot above the top of the tank, about 34 inches from the substrate, you should get around 30 micromols of PAR, which isn't enough light for many plants. If you compromise and raise it only about 6 inches above the top of the tank, about 28 inches from the substrate, you should get about 40-50 micromols, which is a very good light level to have.

Personally, I would consider a light with better reflectors, so I could raise it a bit higher, then run the tank with no glass on top - open topped. The disadvantage is the shadow of the brace across the top. That might convince me that a better idea would be to have Catalina Aquarium make me a custom light with two bulbs, but separated about 8 inches, so I could sit it on top of the tank, without getting too much light.

That is half the fun, and all of the frustration haha.

Amazingly, I understood your post. Is open top preferred in many cases? Aside from fish known to jump, do you worry about School fish such as Danios and tetras suicide tendencies with an open top?

I was actually curious as to how a light would distribute evenly throughout the tank over glass especially with the hinge in the middle of the glass to allow opening for feeding...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post

Thank you for this explanation! I am in the same boat as Realistik; overwhelmed by the information out there for a tank of the same depth and height. This was so helpful!

~June
2500g koi pond, 56g community tank, 29g community tank
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

What are thoughts in this Filter? It is the one I currently have in that tank...

http://www.bigalspets.com/AquaClear-...Rank=salesrank
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Two single strip 36" t5 HOs are your best bet. Set one 4" from the front glass and one 4" from the back glass. This is enough light to grow anything. I run a 10 hour photoperiod with Co2 shot through a Supreme Mag 12 pump.

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode