Help me layout these rocks!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Help me layout these rocks!!

Hi guys,

After hunting around my area for some stones, I found one large stone that I thought looked nice. Unfortunately, it was the only stone of its kind that I could find in a larger size, so the other stones to accompany it are smaller, though of same type. I have been playing around with the arrangement of the stones but can't seem to think of a good way to lay them out. I have some layouts that I have tried below. Please help me layout the stones

Any suggestions are highly welcome

please tell me which you prefer

the original
Base on some of the input I got here is another option

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I really like the rock on the left in the first photo but not crazy about the face the rock on the right is showing. I have little imagination though, with plants grown in it may be just right.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 11:55 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Try to maneuver them so you get as much height as possible - even if you have to pile up substrate in strange amounts beneath/behind to support them.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Try to maneuver them so you get as much height as possible - even if you have to pile up substrate in strange amounts beneath/behind to support them.
Do you mean for the smaller rocks so they match the height of the bigger one on the right? or for both sides?

thanks for the input guys, and I am still open to any suggestions
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
He means that you should stand the rocks upright to make them as tall as possible. Once the carpet plant fills in most of the rock will be covered. If the rocks are lying down or partially buried in the substrate you might not see then at all. Also, don't match the heights on any of them. Make sure they all have different heights.

You should always follow the rule of thirds when you're arranging the largest stone because it'll most likely become the center of interest.

Tony

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and my

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:36 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
+1 TLE041. Sorry, should have been more specific.

Making the rock look tall and mountainous will balance the scale of your tank, will make plants look more natural and will just all-around look cool.

You've got a great setup and I can't wait to see how it goes.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE041 View Post
He means that you should stand the rocks upright to make them as tall as possible. Once the carpet plant fills in most of the rock will be covered. If the rocks are lying down or partially buried in the substrate you might not see then at all. Also, don't match the heights on any of them. Make sure they all have different heights.

You should always follow the rule of thirds when you're arranging the largest stone because it'll most likely become the center of interest.
Hey,

Thanks for the clarification on that. I tried to place the bigger rock on a 1/3 line. I also made the other rocks more vertical, while attempting to make sure that they were varying heights.

Here is what I came up with

Please let me know what you think I should move around to improve the hard scape

Thanks for all the input guys
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)
I love the rocks, but I have to ask, did you test the rock with vinegar to make sure it wouldn't raise the pH?

– a 40g reef
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterben View Post
I love the rocks, but I have to ask, did you test the rock with vinegar to make sure it wouldn't raise the pH?
didn't get fizz so I assume it's good to go, but thanks for the warning
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

out of curiosity though, since i have never used rocks in a scape, can rocks really raise the water hardness so much between water changes that it can harm fauna?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveflying View Post
didn't get fizz so I assume it's good to go, but thanks for the warning
No worries, just looking out for ya!
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveflying View Post
out of curiosity though, since i have never used rocks in a scape, can rocks really raise the water hardness so much between water changes that it can harm fauna?
Not just between water changes, it will can raise the pH very, very quickly if you have a lot of rock surface area touching the water. I've got a 1/3" layer of rock at the bottom of my 55gal cichlid tank. When I recently filled it, the 50gal or so of water came out of my tap at 7.4 and within 12 hours it was 8.8. It has since dropped to around 8.2-8.4 two days later.

EDIT: Wait, hardness, not pH. I didn't measure hardness in it yet, but if the rock reacts to vinegar, it will also buffer the water with calcium carbonate, raising your kH, and I'd imagine it would raise it fairly high.

– a 40g reef
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterben View Post
No worries, just looking out for ya!

Not just between water changes, it will can raise the pH very, very quickly if you have a lot of rock surface area touching the water. I've got a 1/3" layer of rock at the bottom of my 55gal cichlid tank. When I recently filled it, the 50gal or so of water came out of my tap at 7.4 and within 12 hours it was 8.8. It has since dropped to around 8.2-8.4 two days later.

EDIT: Wait, hardness, not pH. I didn't measure hardness in it yet, but if the rock reacts to vinegar, it will also buffer the water with calcium carbonate, raising your kH, and I'd imagine it would raise it fairly high.
I was curious to see what kind of stone I had so I looked on the internet and discovered that my rock i likely slate. Pictures seem to match, and I know that some of the buildings around where I was collecting rocks were built with slate, paths, and things
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

All comments on my hard scape are welcome!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
start is kinda scetchy, but i like it, the feeling of naturalness FLOWS...
???????

Happy plantkeeping!

check it out!!!! -->

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:18 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
I like the first and third.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode