Erythromycin or Interpet No 9 Anti-Bacterial Treatment for Internal Bacterial Infecti - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Mxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Erythromycin or Interpet No 9 Anti-Bacterial Treatment for Internal Bacterial Infecti

After having picked up a few Endlers from a nevertheless reputable aquarium chain store I've suffered a chain of repeated fish losses in my previously stable display tank, that overall certainly seem to indicate an internal bacterial malady, with symptoms including dropsy. Unfortunately I'd been changing some things with my filtration which resulted in quite high nitrates for at least a week when I was away. I have the nitrates cleared up to below ten now, but I lost another fish still, which was likely weakened from that period then.

I'm not terribly keen on taking a Darwinian approach now, and would prefer to resort to medicating to try to clear this apparent bacterial infection up. I now have some Erythromycin and Interpet No 9 Anti-Bacterial Treatment for Internal Bacterial Infections on hand, but I'm not sure which might be better to try and use. Neither is supposed to harm the good bacteria, plants, or fish, but I'm never 100% comfortable with such medications. The Interpet product contains formaldehyde and methanol, never good, but it is supposed to treat the specific maladies I'm experiencing currently. I also have one cherry shrimp and a snail, and I'm not sure how well they'd take either treatment. I could take them out during treatment, but then I'd just risk reinfecting my tank as soon as I put them back in so I'd prefer for them to be treated as well.

And I'm in the process of setting up a quarantine tank finally. Would either of these be a good idea to use as precautionary medications for new fish? I'd had an experienced hobbyist here recommend a course of Levamisole and an anti-bacterial treatment for all new fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Mxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
After much research (and a good deal of misinformation around as well) it turns out that Erythromycin eliminates gram positive bacteria (including your bio-filter!), not the gram negative bacteria which cause these maladies. And thus I'll be going with the No. 9 treatment.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
find some kanamycin, it is skin absorbed

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode