How long to wait before adding more fish? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How long to wait before adding more fish?

I completed a fishless water cycle.

Two weeks ago I added 5 fish, 3 shrimp.

I would like to add 4 more fish at least (make a group of 6 CPDs). If its OK, I would like to add another group of 6 fish (chilli rasboras). So 10 fish total.

I've read and heard from people to wait a few weeks or months before adding more fish. Whats your advice?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I would advise you to STOP adding fish and set up a 10gl. quarantine tank. Simply a bare tank, heater & HOB or Sponge filter and Hornwort. Take 10gl of water from a change and fill the Q-Tank with it. Run your filter and put a little fish food in the tank each day for a week. Then do another water change from the 55 to the 10gl. This time syphon out any fish food waste from the 10gl.

From this point on any fish you buy go in the 10gl Q-Tank for a month 1st to observe for signs of Ick or other health problems. You DO NOT want to bring problems into your display tank.

It's also much easier to medicate a small tank.

I keep a snails in mine to keep the Bio-filter active. Hornwort gives cover and sucks up nitrates.

I'm guessing NOT the answer you were hoping for.

But, you will thank me in the long run.
Good Luck
Ocpoolguy and Ocpoolguy like this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 01:10 PM
Algae Grower

Have you been testing the water parameters? The reason to wait is for the population of "good" bacteria to catch up with the tank's bio-load. When ammonia and nitrites are 0, you know that that has happened. The other reason to wait is to make sure that all current tank inhabitants are healthy, the tank is stable, etc. Before you add any more fish, read up on quarantining the new inhabitants! I skipped that once--adding more fish of the same type from the same source so I thought it would be OK. I won't make that mistake again, and many people here say the same thing.

Leah

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I would advise you to STOP adding fish and set up a 10gl. quarantine tank. Simply a bare tank, heater & HOB or Sponge filter and Hornwort. Take 10gl of water from a change and fill the Q-Tank with it. Run your filter and put a little fish food in the tank each day for a week. Then do another water change from the 55 to the 10gl. This time syphon out any fish food waste from the 10gl.

From this point on any fish you buy go in the 10gl Q-Tank for a month 1st to observe for signs of Ick or other health problems. You DO NOT want to bring problems into your display tank.

It's also much easier to medicate a small tank.

I keep a snails in mine to keep the Bio-filter active. Hornwort gives cover and sucks up nitrates.

I'm guessing NOT the answer you were hoping for.

But, you will thank me in the long run.
Good Luck
What are you talking about? I don't even have a 55 gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Have you been testing the water parameters? The reason to wait is for the population of "good" bacteria to catch up with the tank's bio-load. When ammonia and nitrites are 0, you know that that has happened. The other reason to wait is to make sure that all current tank inhabitants are healthy, the tank is stable, etc. Before you add any more fish, read up on quarantining the new inhabitants! I skipped that once--adding more fish of the same type from the same source so I thought it would be OK. I won't make that mistake again, and many people here say the same thing.

Leah

Ammonia, Nitrates are 0...is it safe to add 10 more fish?
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (27/100%)
There should be a little Nitrates, maybe not if you doing WC everyday. but Nitrates=0 normally would mean the cycle is not completed. Maybe its Nitrites=0?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have never Q any of my fish/plants. If you buy from a reputable store, that Q themselves this isnt needed.

However I will add, add fish a little at a time in order NOT to throw your filter into a cycle because it cant keep up with the new bioload.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG75 View Post
I have never Q any of my fish/plants. If you buy from a reputable store, that Q themselves this isnt needed.
This is very very bad advice.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
IT wasnt advice...It is my method.

75 Dirted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
What are you talking about? I don't even have a 55 gallon.
My apologies, I really don't know were I got that "55gl" comment from. I should of have more coffee before logging on.

But, you did ask for advice and mine is solid. I've had aquariums since 1972, made most of the mistakes people here ask about, before they were born. I try to pay forward when I can.

Best of luck whatever you decided to do.
Ocpoolguy and Ocpoolguy like this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:

However I will add, add fish a little at a time in order NOT to throw your filter into a cycle because it cant keep up with the new bioload.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
Quote:
IT wasnt advice...It is my method.
In his defense - not everyone has the ability to setup a Q-tank, and there are "methods" to providing a healthy tank without a Q-setup.

Sure - no one would argue it wouldnt be better, but nor is it the end all be all.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I've not regularly quarantined either, however you have to know that you're taking a non-zero risk that you're introducing some disease into the tank.

Typically you will want to specify how big the tank is and the water parameters if you're gonna ask stocking questions. If you're looking to add 6 more fish to a 10g, that's completely different than adding the same 6 fish to a 100g.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I have never had a quarantine tank, not because it isn't a good idea to have one, but because I almost always completely stock my tank within a month when I set it up. I also don't do "cycling". I heavily plant the tank, start fertilizing, wait a week or two, then add a few fish, wait a week and add a few more, wait a week and add the rest of them. That has always worked well for me. But, no question, if you pay a lot for your fish, and I don't, you should quarantine new fish before giving them a chance to infect your investment.

Hoppy
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I also don't do "cycling". I heavily plant the tank, start fertilizing, wait a week or two, then add a few fish, wait a week and add a few more, wait a week and add the rest of them. That has always worked well for me.
For those that don't know this is refered as a "Silent Cycle" I have never tried it yet but hope to during my next setup.

75 Dirted

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
typing one handed so no caps lol.
is this you're Fluval Edge 6 gallon setup?
with low nitrates and zero nitrites and ammonia (imo) you can add the 4 filling in the group.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
"If you buy from a reputable store, that Q themselves this isnt needed. " - sounds alot like advise to me. Just saying.

Anyhow it's not hard or expensive to set up a Q tank, especially if your main tank is stocked with smaller fish. A 5g is better than nothing and will hold a few fish at a time, which is really all anyone should be adding at once anyhow. I find it reckless to not quarantine because then you are choosing to risk the health of all your other fish. I doubt people would do this with their other pets but it seems to be OK with fish for some reason.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode