29 gallon or 20 gallon long for Shrimp tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
29 gallon or 20 gallon long for Shrimp tank

I am in possesion of both a 20 gallon long and a 29 gallon for a shrimp tank. I was wondering which you would feel would be better. It will be low light with anubias, moss, and sagetaria being the primary plants in this proposed setup. Which one do you feel would be better for breeding shrimp. I am planning on housing(and hopefully breeding) crystal red shrimp and red cherry shrimp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
Its subjective but from a planting perspective I'd go with the long because of that 30" length. You can really make a pretty picture with that much left-to-right real estate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I got 1 tool in my toolbox and its a hammer."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:50 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
BIGGER is BETTER.

FISH.. its a lifestyle not an addiction.

Breeding guppies since '05

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 04:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I would go with the 20g long for a shrimp tank. The 20g long and the 29g have the same footprint, but maintaining the tank and culling your shrimps will be a lot easier in the shallower tank. The only reason to go with the 29g is if you wanted plants that would require the extra height.

I even have duckweed in my water bong!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (100/100%)
I'm a fan of shallow long tanks so its a 20gallon long for me.
I like the footprint and I can do away with lesser light due to the low height.

+1 on what wetworks said about easier culling.

Another 2.5g story

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 05:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have both of these tanks and can't help but think there would be a lot of wasted space in the 29 if you are not going with tall growing plants, so I would certainly agree with the 20L as the shrimp tank.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 05:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Being the owner of a 37g (same footprint as a 29g only 4" taller) that replaced a 29g, I can confidently say that the 20L will serve you the best. Especially for a shrimp tank. The member who said "bigger is better" is somewhat correct as more volume allows more flexibility in water parameters (the larger amount of water you are working with is less effected by changes that could perhaps cause an issue in a smaller tank) but with shrimp (and any other o2 sensitive animal) you want as much surface area in comparison to tank volume as possible to promote better water/o2 exchange. The 20L is much better in this regard. Also with it being more shallow it will be much easier to get your hands in the tank for maintenance/catching shrimp/whatever. Then, lastly; if you are going to scape or plant this tank a 29g is really useless and very hard to create an aesthetically pleasing layout due to it being so tall in relation to how deep (front to back) it is.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 05:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
you know I didn't even think about the shallowness of a 20L. What is that depth, like 12 or 14 inches? That is a great point.

"I got 1 tool in my toolbox and its a hammer."
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrium View Post
you know I didn't even think about the shallowness of a 20L. What is that depth, like 12 or 14 inches? That is a great point.
20L
30"x12"x12" (roughly)

29g
30"x12"x18.5" (roughly)

Shallow tanks are great. I just purchased a 40b from petco during their $1/g sale to replace the 37g I currently have. I cant wait. I hate that tall son of a biscuit!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode