Staghorn algae - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Staghorn algae

I have had staghorn on my filter outlet for a few months now. It never really spread until I moved back to school to a softer water area and until 2 weeks ago when I had to move everything from one tank to another due to a leak. Now the staghorn is slowly spreading on my blyxa japonica. It is mainly on my dead leaves at the bottom of the plants but I can see little pieces on green leaves. My co2 is where it should be as is my dosing. What is the best method to get rid of this other than cutting the leaves back. I heard it can be worsened from substrate disturbance so I wonder if it is from when I moved all my substrate to the new tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
Most likely from the move. Have yourself a peroxide treating party but just make sure you go slow because staghorn is a lil' thicker than most algaes so you need a good concentration of peroxide.

You can also pull it if it isn't an epidemic yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I got 1 tool in my toolbox and its a hammer."
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 07:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
You can treat with the peroxide but that does not fix the rot issue of the algae.

You say that you moved back to an area with softer water. To me, softer water means that it is less concentrated with minerals and other nutrients that our plants use as ferts. Perhaps this change in water has cause you to become deficient in something.

That is likely not the issue though. Co2 is your huckleberry more than likely. I know you say that your co2 is "where it should be" but what does that mean and how are you determining that where it should be is really where it should be? Are you using a drop checker or pH probe? how is the tank filtered/water moved throughout the tank? How do you diffuse co2? What are you dosing, how often and at what amounts?

Again, in 98% of "I have this algae problem but I know its not co2..." it ends up being co2 for one reason or another.

So answer the questions I posed and hopefully we can track down the cause of your woes.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

This in on a 2.5g and I have about 1bps ( turned it up a little over 1 bps now) with my drop checker at yellow. I dose using the EI method and converted the seachem measurements to go with my tank. Since the water is soft do you think I should up the amount I am dosing. Since it is so small the water flows all throughout the tank from my HOB. The co2 is being diffused through a glass ceramic disk diffuser placed under my HOB outlet to move the co2 around the tank. My plants are growing like mad so I'm surprised they aren't out competing this stuff.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Are you using tap water for water changes? I also recently started to get some staghorn algae in my tank, and even with 2 weeks of 3X Excel overdose it is still hanging on. I wonder if there is something in the water....
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ya I am using the tap water...maybe it is the water. It is mostly just little pieces on the leaves that I can see from co2 bubbles getting trapped on it plus the stuff on my filter. It isn't out of hand yet so I just want to keep it from getting there.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I wish I could help you. Like I mentioned, Excel is doing nothing nothing unless I spot dose it. Otherwise I am just plucking off the leaves that are badly infested. Have you had any problems with diatoms as well?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

No problems with diatoms and I have just been pulling off the the really bad leaves too.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Did you crank up the co2 yet?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yes it is over 1 bps for a 2.5g and my drop checker is yellow or was yellow from old solution so i just turned my co2 up even more and spot treated the stuff on my filter again and it is showing signs of dying. I also started dosing 2x excel to see if that works. I might just chop my blyxa way down to see if that helps. Also I am running low on excel, if I were to use h202 do I have to spot treat with it or can I just put it in the tank. What would be the measurements on that? It is kind of hard to spot treat hundreds of blyxa leaves.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So cranked up the co2 but forgot to turn my HOB filter back on...oops. All of my shrimp seem fine except for a lone ghost shrimp and an otto who was struggling.
Update: R.I.P. lone ghost shrimp. I'm pretty sure once your on your back you aren't coming back.
Update 2: His body disappeared maybe he came back to life!

Last edited by radioman; 09-23-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode