driftwood question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Question driftwood question

A buddy of mine recently got several pieces of 'driftwood' from a local big-box pet store. He added two large pieces to a tank I helped him set up, and the next day when I went to his house his tank water looked like tea. Before anyone points out the obvious, I know he should have soaked it to make sure the tanins did not leach into the water, and I hope he does now as well. He pulled the driftwood in question out of the tank and now has it soaking, but I am not sure exactly how to get the water in his tank to be clear again. If anyone can suggest a tip or trick that would make me look smart by fixing his problem, I would certainly appreciate it.

PS- After looking at the tags from the driftwood, it looks like he got a piece that was intended to be for a reptile habitat and not for aquatic use. Should he just not use it, or will it be OK in his tank and safe for future inhabitants?

I even have duckweed in my water bong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 01:40 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
The driftwood will be fine. Boiling it will speed up the tanin leaching process.

The big water change will clear up the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
A bag of Seachem Purigen in the filter (*after* the big water change) will keep it from happening again.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
The driftwood will be fine. Boiling it will speed up the tanin leaching process.

The big water change will clear up the tank.
Thanks for the boiling tip, I just called him and passed the info along, as well as the water change suggestion.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuni View Post
A bag of Seachem Purigen in the filter (*after* the big water change) will keep it from happening again.
Thanks!

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

OK, the water in his tank is now clear. He did not have a pot big enough to boil the driftwood, so he brought it to my house. So far we have boiled and rinsed it twice for about 45 minutes each time. How many more times should it take? Should I boil it longer than 45 minutes? Thanks!

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Planted Member

I tend to just boil them and go watch a movie. I'm sure 2 45 minute boils will be fine, just let it cool so you don't cooks teh fishes
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
I hope you don't mind me asking a question in your thread, but it's related and I figure it's better than starting a new thread. I saw some driftwood at a LFS that looked really good and was covered in algae. That added to the look in my opinion. My question is if I put it in my tank and I risking anything? Can parasites/fish diseases be on the wood or is that unlikely? I don't want to clean the wood because I like the algae on it.

-----
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
well you are risking introducing the algae on the DW to your tank. who knows, it may spread to the glass and plants

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
well you are risking introducing the algae on the DW to your tank. who knows, it may spread to the glass and plants
That's true, but it really looks good. lol

-----
Brad

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Boiling it will speed up the tanin leaching process.
If its very big and you're lazy throw it in the dishwasher, obviously without detergent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuni View Post
I love this stuff...and I love having a canister to use it.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

lol. well if you can identify the algae, maybe its one that wont spread? idk if its worth it

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
I hope you don't mind me asking a question in your thread, but it's related and I figure it's better than starting a new thread. I saw some driftwood at a LFS that looked really good and was covered in algae. That added to the look in my opinion. My question is if I put it in my tank and I risking anything? Can parasites/fish diseases be on the wood or is that unlikely? I don't want to clean the wood because I like the algae on it.
Yes you risk snails and other parasites on the wood and in the algae. Live bearing snails don't need a lot of moisture for their young to spread, so I'd definitely be giving it a strong salt bath first.

ₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚°~Alyssa

|
|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I boil mine 4-6 hours a night for a week, but I really hate yellow water.

The water will always be brown after boiling no matter how many times you repeat, but you should get no noticeable discoloration in your tank.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The algae looks like this I'm thinking it's green dust algae.

-----
Brad

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode