New co2 system tomorrow and I havent a clue. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
New co2 system tomorrow and I havent a clue.

Hi Everyone!
Im going tomorrow to pick up a co2 system I ordered. I really have no clue how to set it up. I mean Im sure I can out it together Ive researched on line and they dont seem that hard. I have no clue how much co2 I should be putting in to the tank how many hrs a day? I know there is a bubble counter but I dont know what that means? I think I should be putting in 2-3 bubbles per second? Im assuming I would just adjust the valve on the canister to increas or decress?
How do I know if its working?
I have a 36 gallon.
Thanks
Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just run your CO2 when the lights are on. I would suggest shutting it off 30 minutes or so before the lights go out.

The bubble counter is nice because it lets you see how much you are increasing, or decreasing when you adjust your CO2, but it doesn't really tell you much about how much CO2 is going into the tank or what the CO2 level is. Every tank is different, and how you are dissolving it into the water plays a huge role.

2 bubbles a second is probably plenty safe on a tank that size, so start there and slowly increase every day or two for the next couple of weeks until you are confident that you have enough CO2 in the water. A bubble counter can be helpful to give you the confidence to increase.

Depending on your lighting, you may need more or less CO2 for optimal growth. Just be careful and adjust slowly since this is your first time setting up an injection system. It's better to spend the next 2 months dialing it in than to suffocate all of your fauna.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Sharkfood
that helps alot. Ill set the time to turn on and off about 30 min before my lights. Ill go with 2 bubbles a sec and see how that goes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode