Should we start a plant co-op? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Should we start a plant co-op?

A lot of reef forums have this: a co-op where corals are traded among members for only shipping provided that they:

1. Do not sell the plant out of the co-op
2. Maintain it indefinitely. And if they can't keep it send the plant to another co-op member if no one else has it.
3. Never charge for more than shipping.
4. Give back to the co-op if you take from it.
5. Agree that all livestock handed out by the co-op is continually the property of the co-op regardless of membership.

The co-op is made to preserve coral/fish/invert species in the hobby and to make available species indefinitely and easily.

I'm wondering if anyone on this forum is interested in doing something like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Very interesting, could be very effective

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/95%)
This is good idea, I belong to a "Fry Club" on another forum where you post what you have to get rid of and what you are looking for. Only cost is shipping and basically the same rules apply. Also there is limit as too how much one person can get so no one person is being greedy.

Id be interested in something like this.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 02:50 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Definitely. I have a lot of fry that I pretty much give away anyways. I don't want to make money off them I just don't want to overstock my tank and I want them to have a good home

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.615615,-88.302906

Opportunity is often missed because it's dressed in coveralls and looks like work.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 03:29 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Good call.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm in.....
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Could be worth it if we are going to maintain rare species or hybrids, or perhaps maintain large lawns of carpet plants for those starting new aquaria.

I think this will be a waste of time if everyone is growing R. rotundifolia and C. Wendtii.

Now, if it's a way that we can trade 2 square feet of C. Parva, for a pound of peacock moss, or maybe spread around some rare Cryptocorynes, then I'll set up 3 more tanks just to grow out plants.

At the same time, there are great forum members who sell unusual plants here on a regular basis, and it would be improper to make the plants they are trying to profit from available free to everyone. I believe this deserves some real consideration. So perhaps a membership of some sort would be required.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Ooooh that sounds SO cool! I'd be in!

Half the issue is trying to find places to get rid of the excess when you get a great balance going and your plants are growing everywhere and everything starts breeding on you, lol!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I put my excess in the garbage.

I was under the assumption this would be a co-op for plants, not fish fry.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
If we do this what about rules - what kind will there be? For instance - I never had snails until I benefited from a RAOK here. Since it was a RAOK, I don't mind so much - and it made me learn about snails. But I really don't know about the various algaes, parasites, bacterias, etc that can hitch hike on plants.
As nice and beneficial as this can be, it would be cutting the throats of the sellers - how did your reef community handle that?

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
As nice and beneficial as this can be, it would be cutting the throats of the sellers
This is my biggest concern. (I am not a seller BTW)

Algae, snails, etc are par for the course whether you are given plants or buy them. Quarantine, dip, etc. if they worry you.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
monetary gain of one (or few) should be of consideration low on the list when contemplating doing something for the greater good and enjoyment of others.

i think a co-op could work. i don't think a free one would/could. I think it'd be prudent to charge a yearly membership fee that goes towards the purchase and cultivation of new and rare aquatic species. But a governing body would need to be set up like any other club to oversee things, fairly.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
monetary gain of one (or few) should be of consideration low on the list when contemplating doing something for the greater good and enjoyment of others.

i think a co-op could work. i don't think a free one would/could. I think it'd be prudent to charge a yearly membership fee that goes towards the purchase and cultivation of new and rare aquatic species. But a governing body would need to be set up like any other club to oversee things, fairly.
Doesn't that defeat the point?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I think it should be on good will really...no membership fee. But we should create a private googlesite or google group and keep some spreadsheets on members and the number of things they have for trade and what they've accepted from other members. We should also put a month cap on the number of things they may take from the co-op.

What I think a good system to do is:
1. Create a google site with a few admins to accept members. (they check buyer/seller history on this site etc)
2. A spread sheet containing the real names of the members with the account names they use on the site associated with them. (this one is kept uneditable except by admins but is open to the public). People can only do co-op trades if they are on this list.
3. A spread sheet (or same sheet really) containing what they have up for trade and what they have accepted and dated of course. (open to be edited by all members)

And a few rules discouraging gaming the system like: The spreadsheet is saved as is at random times on a biweekly basis. Untruthful changes to the spreadsheet in your favor will be counted against you and can threaten your continued membership in the co-op.

As for screwing the the sellers on this site. I guess really we should be considerate of those people and try to limit the amount of trades of certain items. On rare crypts we should contact the original sellers and ask their permission to have their crypt enter the co-op. We could even as a club put in a fund to buy from them plants that we could distribute among members. Or maybe buy the "rights" to distribute their plants for free.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have only thought about this for 2 minutes, but maybe you would get 5 plants sent to you with your initial membership fee. You then have 3 months to send 5 plants to other members. At this point, you would be held to a 1:1 ratio of plants in and out. Any new species that you can introduce to the coop would get you 3 plants from other members. I think there would need to be a hub of sorts, where a few keepers would have tanks just for stock. Sounds like a fun project for some admin. to tackle over the approaching winter. As for sellers, they could be members too if they wish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode