Something for my sand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Something for my sand?

Hi Everyone
I have sand as my substraight in my 36 gallon tank. I want to get a fish that will help keep my sand clean and stir the top layer a little. I was thinking corys but I have crs and dont want the corys to go after any babies they may have. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Snails?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
with very few exceptions bigger critters eat the little critters

Even slow moving snails will try and eat anything they sense around them.
Survival of the fittest, little law of the jungle thing going on in our tanks. I'm shifting from one type of cleanup crew to the next trying to figure out what's not an egg eater. I want my angel fry to survive. My current batch in place are Kuhli loaches. Seem to be safe thus far but time will tell.

Several Cory types tried with mix results. Rams horn and common pond snails were tried and the parent fish struggled to peck them off the slate with the tougher snails plowing right through the spawn site. Once free swimming most any fish including Otto will suck up the tiny fry given any chance.

Good luck OP hope you find an answer species. Thought I did with several different clean up crews only to find as adults what was once a safe neighbor for my breeders became a glutton every spawn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Wallace and Wkndracer
I have some snails but they really dont leave the wood. Im getting several Ottos I was told they wouldnt eat the babies. Do Ottos stir the sand?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
I have Otto in nearly all my tanks and don't see them work the bottom of the a tank in any meaningful way. I will tell you I have seen them eat 2nd week free swimming fry.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well if the ottos eat the babies then I might as well go with corys as well and not worry about the babies. I have tons of hiding places and will just keep adding crs and Im sure some will make it( I hope)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Malaysian trumpet snails. They will stir and clean your sand. And they will overpopulate. I spend a little time one night a week picking the bigger ones out, but I think they are a must for sand substrate. I have some LFS that will give them away.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Living word. Ive heard they will eat plants?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
There's always a chance that any critter in your tank will eat your plants. They won't, though (unless it is Ramshorns eating your frogbit - which drives me insane), if there's plenty of other stuff for them to eat.

Malaysian Trumpet Snails are great for sand. I have easily 100 in a 5.5gal grow-out tank in an inch of white sand. They keep it looking great. At night, they roam the tank and help the Ramshorns keep the glass and such clean.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Though Wkndracer puts up some valuable experience and information, reproducing angel fish and cherry shrimp are quite different.

Its perfectly possible to maintain a breeding shrimp population. Cherry shrimplets can hide much better than fry and cherry shrimp breed like roaches (I'm sure angelfish don't). At the same time, your bottom feeders may take advantage of a few shrimplets as they see them but I have heard few stories where they decimate an entire shrimp population.

If you have plenty of hiding places (moderately to heavily planted tank for example), then it's worth a shot.

Otto's don't mix up the substrate really. They'll hang around your tank walls, flora, driftwood and rocks but they don't feed by feeling up the bottom of your tank. Corys are much more likely to do that although few of my fish really disturb my eco-complete substrate. Sand is different though.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks astrosag and somewhatshocked Ill go with corys(how many for 36 gal) and the ottos for algae(how many for 36 gallon) I have 18 crs so I may add more just to make the odds more in my fav of having babies that survive.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I used to keep Trumpets. Didn't harm any plants, and outcompeted a large population of pond snails in the process. Eventually reduced their population to zero in every tank I added them to, so I wonder if they were eating their eggs as well. (I hear this is not a typical outcome though.)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

HI Chris
Im going monday to get the co2 system. Im so excited I just hope I can get it hooked up properly lol. I think Im just going to go with the corys and ottos unless they have something there they recommend. The funny thing is I had 2 trumpets in my tank I have no idea where they came from and when I looked the up on line and read they ate plants I gave them to petco.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
MTS are are live bearing snails.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode