question about using metal tank stands - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
question about using metal tank stands

I'm going to be starting a journal on the two 29s I bought at the Petco sale, but first I have a question;
I have an old - but perfectly sound - metal stand that was my dad's. I want to use it for sentimental reasons, and it's made for two 20L or 29s. I've never used a metal stand before, and I don't know if I'm supposed to put the tanks directly on the metal rim, or put plywood between the tanks & the stand. Also, on the right rear corner of the top tank, I can see a hairline of light between the tank & the stand. If I apply a light pressure by hand to the corner, the gap goes away completely (without raising the opposite corner - lol). Since the gravel will put much much more weight on it, will it be fine when filled?
Many thanks!
PS - the wood base is just the start of a box I'm making to raise the height of the thanks - the bottom tank was way to low to see well. I've only just started & was doing a dry run - don't pay attention to it! lol It won't be an open box...

http://[IMG]http://www.plantedtank.n....jpg[/IMG]

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

let me try that again... ; )

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
looks perfect

Dont worry about the tanks uneveness. Aslong as the stand itself is level and plum the tanks will follow.

|
|

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
i have an almost identical stand, made in the 60's (was my fathers as well) except mine only has a shelf on the bottom, def wont hold a tank corectly, but i had my tank on a half inch piece of plywood and never had an issue. The only reason i did it like that was because thats how i got it (with the wood that is)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
access will be TIGHT on the lower tank but the support should be fine.
the only complaint I have with any ready made rack is no room on the lower tank.
(maybe go with a 20L on the bottom???)

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The stand isn't level yet, I have to shim the back (this is a moblie home and the floors dip slightly towards the exterior walls. Don't ask me why, but all my neighbor's do the same. I had to do the same for the 55 that was in this spot.
hmm, I was so intrigued by the look of the two 29s, I didn't think about the slim clearance. It's 4-1/2". I think it will be ok, but it will certainly be tight. I've run out of places for tanks and have no way to use the bottom 29 if not here, and I don't want to get rid of it. I'd like to use a versa top (perhaps homemade, I've been wanting to try that) and a single or twin bulb NO. I have actually been considering the standard Aqueon/Marineland hood with the built in light. It only has a 17w bulb, but I'm using the same kind of setup on my 40b with a 30w bulb and the plants are super healthy, growing very well (yes, slowly, which I like) and I've never had algae except for diatoms. Even the twin bulb T8 shoplight I use on the 55 I moved from this spot developed algae since I started using the light fixture on top of the glass. When I set the 55s up again I'm going to raise the lights a bit.
I guess if I leave the lower 29 in place, I'll do more hardscaping with wood & rocks, and have a few crypts/anubias and leave it alone. Water changes will be the challenge! lol
Well, I do like an experiment!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I'd use a pc of 1/2 plywood between the tank & the metal stand. You might get away with a strip of heavy rubber. Things like rubber car door/trunk weather stripping, some hardware stores sell rubber gasket material, old inner tube all might work.

I love those old stands but, they never were really welded up all that straight & true.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Here's my imagined pros & cons on using ply under the top tank (not the bottom = no room now!)
Pro; I could get T5NO light fixtures from HD or Lowes & attach them to the underside of the ply for the bottom tank.
Con; doesn't even exterior grade ply absorb moisture? Even if I paint it black to match the metal, will water be an issue? (I'm uber sloppy when doing water changes, etc.) If the ply breaks down/compresses/expands, warps, how is it different than an unlevel metal base?

On a side note - I do have 1/4" foam core sheets and could use that, if I don't need the ply to hang lights.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
Con; doesn't even exterior grade ply absorb moisture? Even if I paint it black to match the metal, will water be an issue? (I'm uber sloppy when doing water changes, etc.) If the ply breaks down/compresses/expands, warps, how is it different than an unlevel metal base?
the wood on my stand is painted black, and im sloppy as well and to top it all off its some type of partical board which is if i had to guess almost 20 years old and i never had an issue.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
The stand isn't level yet, I have to shim the back (this is a moblie home and the floors dip slightly towards the exterior walls. Don't ask me why, but all my neighbor's do the same. I had to do the same for the 55 that was in this spot.
hmm, I was so intrigued by the look of the two 29s, I didn't think about the slim clearance. It's 4-1/2". I think it will be ok, but it will certainly be tight. I've run out of places for tanks and have no way to use the bottom 29 if not here, and I don't want to get rid of it. I'd like to use a versa top (perhaps homemade, I've been wanting to try that) and a single or twin bulb NO. I have actually been considering the standard Aqueon/Marineland hood with the built in light. It only has a 17w bulb, but I'm using the same kind of setup on my 40b with a 30w bulb and the plants are super healthy, growing very well (yes, slowly, which I like) and I've never had algae except for diatoms. Even the twin bulb T8 shoplight I use on the 55 I moved from this spot developed algae since I started using the light fixture on top of the glass. When I set the 55s up again I'm going to raise the lights a bit.
I guess if I leave the lower 29 in place, I'll do more hardscaping with wood & rocks, and have a few crypts/anubias and leave it alone. Water changes will be the challenge! lol
Well, I do like an experiment!
I have several metal stands just like this, and have no problem with them at all. I do not use wood between the tank and the stand, and under the weight of the filled tank the stand levels out so that all four feet fit evenly. I am not sure if your stand will do this, but every stand of this sort that I have had has. I can, however, tell you from personal experience that you will not have much room at all to work in the bottom tank. The tiny space is extremely hard to maneuver in. You will have to put any sizable hard-scape items in BEFORE you put the tank on the stand, and once it is in there you will have to fully empty the tank to make significant changes. Be absolutely sure that your lighting will fit onto the tank once it is on the bottom shelf of your stand. If you are completely sold on the idea of putting a 29 in the bottom half, you could probably use a thinner LED lighting system, but this still does not give you a whole lot of access to the tank for cleaning, scaping, trimming, etc. I had to learn all of this the hard way, and I ended up getting another stand and two 20g longs and splitting up the 29g's. With the 20g long, I had plenty of room to properly take care of the tank. I am not suggesting that you change your plans, but I did want to share with you some of the problems you can expect to have. Good luck!

I even have duckweed in my water bong!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Good points made by all!
I did a dry run of how hard it will be to use the lower 29. I feel I must use it, because I have nowhere else to put yet another tank! lol Also I don't have the $$ to get a 20L.
Anyhow, I'm hoping to get Aqueon T5NOs from Petsmart for the tanks in time - in the meantime I have extra AGA hood/light combos leftover from a 55g, that I apparently lost track of. Where these hoods came from I don't recall. I know I don't have a spare 55 lounging around...The hood leaves side gaps (if I center it on the tank) of a few inches. I can cover this with glass or even extra tile I have, cut to size. I have enough headroom to take the entire hood and/or the light fixture itself out without coming close to touching the bottom rim of the stand. The Aqueon light is even slimmer and shorter in design, so that will be ok. The difficult part will be getting a net in to scoop dead fish, when that occurs. The water changes are managable, and I'll get all the hardscape and plants in while the tank is mostly dry. I won't be adding the top tank for another few weeks so I'll have plenty of access to finish off the lower tank. If all else fails I'll have to break the tank down & move it, but I think I can squeek by.
I'm going to get a can of black spray paint and redo the metal stand, try to come up with some interesting driftwood, and I'm about ready to start. I have the rocks I want, but I also have to finish tiling the wood base the stand sits on. The top is tiled, but the sides are not.
Since this tank may have to be broken down if I find I can't access it well, I'm going with a plain Jane substrate - I'm going to mimic the successfull pea gravel/FloraMax combo I have in the 40b.
Maybe someday I'll figure out where I can squeeze another metal stand in, and I can get two 20Ls and double my tanks! lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode