Need Help. New Co2 Planted Tank with Algae Problem - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Need Help. New Co2 Planted Tank with Algae Problem

I have my Planted Tank set up since Jan. 2011 with only 1 10k daylight T5 24w on the Oddysea. I have little to no algae. Just recently, I bought a 20lb co2 tank off craiglist.
I set up the co2 and have my tank pressurized on Aug. 31, 2011. Since then, I have been dealing with aglae.
Algae looks like tiny moss ball. Below are some picture of it. I'm not sure of what kind of algae is it and how to get rid of it.
Additional, it seems like they only bloom on the substrate and a few on the wood.

20 Gallon Long ( L30xD12xW12)
Cascade 170 Internal Filter
Edited: 38 watt total, 24w 10k daylight T5 Oddysea and 14w t5 Coralife
20lb co2 tank( with regulator, bubble counter, check valve, Glass co2 diffuser)
1-2 bubble per second
Dose Flourish 1-2 times per week
Substrate = Activ Flora and Flourite Black sand from Seachem

7 white cloud mountain minnows
1 cory cat
1 otocinclus
1 sunset platy

(09/16/2011)
NO3 = 0
NO2 = 0
PH = 6
KH = 180
GH = 60/120

If someone can help me. Thank you very much and for your time.

Edit: (09-17-11) I just added 4 yellow shrimp and 3 crystal shrimp to the tank.
I also added some more plants that i got from a cousin of mine.

Edit: (09-18-11) I just added Hydor power head that rated for 300gph. However, I set it to low since it seems to blow everything away.

Below are some picture:

Last edited by HondaV; 09-19-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't know either. A good way to get rid of it is to add a lot more plants so they out compete the algae for the available nutrients. Use fast growing ones.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
I don't know either. A good way to get rid of it is to add a lot more plants so they out compete the algae for the available nutrients. Use fast growing ones.
Oh, Thank you. I'm currently looking into buying/adding more plants to it. Hope that will at least help a bit.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
NO3 = 0
That's your problem.

If you're only dosing Flourish, then your nitrate and potassium levels will be extremely low. When you add CO2, suddenly your plants grow much faster driving them even lower.

Now you have a high light, CO2 injected tank, which necessitates higher levels of nutrients. There are several ways to provide this, but by far the easiest, cheapest, and most common way would be with dry fertilizers following the EI dosing method (A better explanation can be found in the "Dosing Regimes" sticky in the "Fertilizers and Water Parameters" section of this forum.).
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
That's your problem.

Now you have a high light
I'm asking this genuinely, not to be a smarty pants. I thought 24watts on a 20gal tank would be low light?

Edit: Oops I see now thats its x2 lights :P
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
That's your problem.

If you're only dosing Flourish, then your nitrate and potassium levels will be extremely low. When you add CO2, suddenly your plants grow much faster driving them even lower.

Now you have a high light, CO2 injected tank, which necessitates higher levels of nutrients. There are several ways to provide this, but by far the easiest, cheapest, and most common way would be with dry fertilizers following the EI dosing method (A better explanation can be found in the "Dosing Regimes" sticky in the "Fertilizers and Water Parameters" section of this forum.).
I thought NO3 at 0 is good. I didnt know that was bad.
and for the nitrate and potassium, how and what can i dose to give them those?

I did check out that thread Dosing Regimes, I guess i will try to get into that asap. Thanks for your time.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Well, I know it's not necessarily an answer you will like, but it's as simple as adding more fish. More bio load will give you an increase in NO3 all on it's own.

Tommy

><;;;"> <9))>>{

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Red Turquiose Discus, Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras
10 gal low tech planted Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
More fish would provide more nitrogen and phosphorus but a high light tank probably needs even more than fish poop can provide.

The Flourish has potassium, your tank is missing nitrate and phosphate.

Zero ammonia and nitrite good, zero nitrate and phosphate bad.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
In addition to what's already been stated, the Cascade 170 is only rated at 45 gallons per hour (GPH) of water movement, and is recommended for tanks up to 10G.

But planted tanks need even more water movement than standard tanks. CO2 and other nutrients must flow over the plant leaves, otherwise the water in contact with plant leaves becomes quickly depleted.

See my recent post here for a better description of why that happens.

Most leaves in your tank should be at least gently swaying in the current. As a rule of thumb, aim for 10 GPH of water movement per gallon of tank capacity, through any combination of filters and powerheads.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
In addition to what's already been stated, the Cascade 170 is only rated at 45 gallons per hour (GPH) of water movement, and is recommended for tanks up to 10G.

But planted tanks need even more water movement than standard tanks. CO2 and other nutrients must flow over the plant leaves, otherwise the water in contact with plant leaves becomes quickly depleted.

See my recent post here for a better description of why that happens.

Most leaves in your tank should be at least gently swaying in the current. As a rule of thumb, aim for 10 GPH of water movement per gallon of tank capacity, through any combination of filters and powerheads.
I do have a Hydor power head that is rated at 300GPH. should that be good enough with my current internal filter?

By the way thanks for your time.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
More fish would provide more nitrogen and phosphorus but a high light tank probably needs even more than fish poop can provide.

The Flourish has potassium, your tank is missing nitrate and phosphate.

Zero ammonia and nitrite good, zero nitrate and phosphate bad.
How do i get the nitrate and phosphate up? I'm really sorry. I'm really a noob at this.

and thanks.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 12:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
They look like Green Bush Algae. You don't have any of them on the plants themselves? Not all algae are bad. I won't immediately point out which nutrients you are deficient in. How's your plants? Do they show any signs of nutrient deficiencies? If not, your algae problem can be caused by MANY factors. How long you have your lights on? I think you have too much light the way I see it. Maybe reducing your light hours?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
They look like Green Bush Algae. You don't have any of them on the plants themselves? Not all algae are bad. I won't immediately point out which nutrients you are deficient in. How's your plants? Do they show any signs of nutrient deficiencies? If not, your algae problem can be caused by MANY factors. How long you have your lights on? I think you have too much light the way I see it. Maybe reducing your light hours?
Now that i look closely. I think my plants are having some algae on it as well. I guess it just started growing on the plants.

I have the lights from 2pm-10pm..so that's about 8 hr a day. and co2 is only on while the light is on.

thanks for your time .
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Algae show up when the plants are less than in great health, growing actively. When they are short of nutrients, as yours are, they are easy targets for algae. And, you do have much more light than you need, making it much harder to avoid algae.

Hoppy
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaV View Post
I do have a Hydor power head that is rated at 300GPH. should that be good enough with my current internal filter?
Yes! From what I've read, a Hydor has awesome flow.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode