Couple questions take a look! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Couple questions take a look!

Hey guys i started my planted aquarium about 4 months ago and i LOVE it. I have t5 lighting 6.7k for both bulbs 24w each. I run Co2 diffused through my penguin power head. I used three bags of eco complete and its all on a 29g tank. Now my question is i have not seen insane growth in any of my plants besides my crypts So i think i am doing something wrong. Could it be my Co2 is not diffusing into the water, i fertilize with flourish plant food once every two weeks. Is that not enough fertilizer? Should i be using root tabs?

Also here is a picture of my tank Please give me some feed back on what you like and dislike about it. I am no pro at aquariums so this is my best shot at a planted one Thanks for any one who gives advice or posts on this thread!

http://s1192.photobucket.com/albums/...77438523_n.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 12:59 AM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
Believe it or not Eco-complete is inert it's essentially gravel with a high CEC. But that doesn't mean it isn't a good substrate it does a very good job at absorbing nutrients from the water column.

Your tank looks great, but if you aren't happy with your growth I would recommend dosing your fertilizers more often, and putting root tabs in the substrate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 01:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Definitely up your ferts and start dosing the macros. Read up on the EI method by Tom Barr and root tabs never hurt.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

When putting root tabs in the sub straight do i put them directly under the plants or just some where in the sub straight and they will do there thing?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
Most root tabs come with diretions. I just put mine around and amoung the roots. The tabs I use have macro and micros. They are BY FAR my favorite. They are at Aquariumplatns.com complete substrate pellets.

Fertilizers do provide the necessary elements for plant growth. The gas pedal for growth is light. The more light the faster the growth. You can also trim your plants so that you will have more stems to grow.

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Noob question but whats a macro? Or macros?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody0229 View Post
Noob question but whats a macro? Or macros?
Macros (macro-nutrients)are Nitrogen which comes from nitrates, Phosphorus which comes from phosphates and Potassium which is usually in the molecules that deliver the nitrate and phosphate.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 08:15 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:

Nice job using vertical stripes for your background because going with horizontal can make your aquarium look fat.

Will
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Another question i have is that is it better for me to use R/o water or should i use my tap water and just condition it? I have a 29 gallon salt water and i swear by R/o water i'm just curious to know if that R/o water is just as good for a planted aquarium as it is a marine aquarium?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think your tank looks Great!!!!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Another question i have is that is it better for me to use R/o water or should i use my tap water and just condition it? I have a 29 gallon salt water and i swear by R/o water i'm just curious to know if that R/o water is just as good for a planted aquarium as it is a marine aquarium?
If you can find a copy of our city's water quality report online, you can check to see what your phosphate, KH, etc. are out of the tap. If they are in line with what you want, then just use tap water.

For me, I find cutting my tap with %25 RO water keeps my parameters in line well. When I use straight tap, my KH spikes and I have issues keeping pH in line. Sadly, that also means I have to add a bit of GH booster. *sigh* You can never win.
Regards,

Will

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode