Black Bush and Hair algae - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Black Bush and Hair algae

Since the introduction of a CO2 system, I noticed a small tuft of black bush algae on my plants. I plucked out the leaves, but on the other side of the tank, there are black hair algae on the amazon plant.

Should I remove the CO2, or attempt to find a fish/snail to eat them? I haven't seen any oto's around, except in Kissena Aquarium (Kissena Blvd, NY).

If any one lives in NYC, and knows which fish/fish stores that sells algae eating fishes, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
What type of Co2 are you running? Size of the tank? and Lighting?

otos wont touch BBA....Amano shrimp and Thai / Indo Flying foxes do though.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

14 gallons, and an incandescent and fluorescent lightbulbs. CO2 is the Red Sea turbo CO2. I wanna curse all kinda language, especially knowing that I had this bloody tank for a year with no algae ever.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Then somethings changed!!! What's changed? Water source? Ferts? Lighting? Something has changed if you never had algae and now you do.

75 Dirted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yah, I introduced CO2 to the tank. The dilemma being to cut the CO2, or introduce faunas to combat the algae
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 should generally help combat algae if it is introduced along with the proper fertilization routine so that your regular plants are using up all the nutrients and the algae has nothing to feed its growth. So the introduction of Co2 alone should not have had any effect on algae.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (362/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm5 View Post
co2 should generally help combat algae if it is introduced along with the proper fertilization routine so that your regular plants are using up all the nutrients and the algae has nothing to feed its growth. So the introduction of co2 alone should not have had any effect on algae.
+1. Co2...co2...co2...
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ahhh, so just dose more often then? I just got some osmocote today, and just continue dosing with flourish trace?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

BTW what is the Co2 system you are using? DIY or pressurized?

75 Dirted

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You can cause an algae outbreak by using CO2. When you use CO2 the plants will grow much faster, but only if they have the needed NPK and traces nutrients. If the tank is stable without CO2, and you introduce CO2, you will not have enough nutrients available for the plants new growth rate. That leads to unhealthy plants, which are an invitation to algae to start growing. Read the fertilizing forum on fertilizing schemes and follow the recommendations there to be sure you have adequate fertilizing.

Hoppy
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Check out Fishtown USA on Northern Blvd.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG75 View Post
Then somethings changed!!! What's changed? Water source? Ferts? Lighting? Something has changed if you never had algae and now you do.
Remnants of a hurrican hit the city - which inherently affected water supply is my best guess!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

But what do Fishtown USA have to do with algae? But I finally figured out it was my CO2. Thanks hoppy, it was stable, but with the CO2 the lack of the traces fert, allowed for the algae to bubble
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 07:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
This is a very good example showing that fluctuating co2 levels can cause BBA.

Since you are using nothing more then an expensive DIY co2 system the levels of the co2 are fluctuating causing stress on the plants. As Hoppy pointed out when plants get use to using x nutrient then it is gone they tend to not like that at all. Then they slow down and algae starts to form.

You either need to take that Red Sea system off the tank and just go back to what you were doing or drop the money in a proper pressurized co2 system and the necessary ferts (NPK and micro) that you will need to dose with a tank that is getting injected with co2.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 07:46 AM
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Think that one guy was probably telling you that that fishtown usa with the location was probably a fish store since you had asked for a place that sold a certian kind of fish. lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode