Ro? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ro?

I am setting up a 240 gallon planted tank, this is by far the biggest tank I have set up yet. In the past I have always used RO water buffered with a bit of tap, however I am now concerned over how to make and store enough water to do a water change. How necisarry is RO? my water is here is extremely hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Forgot to mention that I want to keep shrimp and maybe a big school of some kind of tetra's in this tank.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It depends on your local tap water. For 99% of the people in this hobby it isn't necessary at all for plants or fish.

I am by no means an expert on shrimp, but shrimp like RCS and Amanos are bulletproof. As to high end CRS etc. maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
How hard is "extremely hard"- pH, kH, and gH- wise?

With that size tank, a few schools of Rainbowfish might be much better options and work WITH your water parameters...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I'd have to think really hard before I used mainly RO in a tank that size. For my 90g I use about 80% RO and 20% tap and even that's pushing my comfort zone.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I don't remember off the top of my head what the kh gh is, however I do remember that it has about 25 grains per gallon of hardness (per the water company's website) I do know that the ph and kh are quite high. when I get home I will check them and report back.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh.salty View Post
I'd have to think really hard before I used mainly RO in a tank that size. For my 90g I use about 80% RO and 20% tap and even that's pushing my comfort zone.
I feel the same way. It is not even so much an issue of waste (i use all waste water) it is really the storage issue. I guess I could do 2 giant 60 gallon trash cans with float valves in the top and bulkheads in the bottom. I am a little freaked out by 50% water changes on this thing.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I make my water into a 60g drum on wheels. I roll it out of the garage and right outside the front door. I just pump the water in from there. I only do a WC every 2 or 3 weeks though. More than that and I get scolded. lol
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I pretty much got the wife were I want her with regards to w/c but the scope of this tank is gonna be daunting to any marriage. I would kind of like to use EI dosing and big changes but I am afraid of making that much RO. I am gonna test my water tonight and get back with the results
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'd tend to agree with Lauraleelp that with a tank that size it's probably easier to tailor the tank to the water rather than the other way around.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The shrimp would probably be RCS and I would be open to adjusting the fauna to suit the water. I just wonder if their is an outside limit to how hard water can be and still be suitable for a planted aquarium
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright so I measured the tap and the kh is about 10.5 took ten drops to get any change then one more for full change. The gh is OFF the charts i added about 40 drops and never got a change. My probe read the ph at 7.6 but I am waiting on a friend to call with a reading from his monitor. Don't trust mine, it went dry (miles Ed SMS 122)
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Are you able to collect rainwater? That's what I do. I have a 100 gallon outside by the fishroom window. I got a couple big ones to put on the shed...one day.

I used to filter it with peat, then a micron filter. But now I just aerate it. I put hoisery or a net on the hose to collect the mosquito larve to feed the fish.

I have a 5 stage RO unit that I've never hooked up because I have no use for the waste and feel to guilty about letting it run down the drain.

Rainwater...a win win situation.

" border="0" />
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 11:50 PM
SCAPEr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscichlid View Post
Are you able to collect rainwater? That's what I do. I have a 100 gallon outside by the fishroom window. I got a couple big ones to put on the shed...one day.

I used to filter it with peat, then a micron filter. But now I just aerate it. I put hoisery or a net on the hose to collect the mosquito larve to feed the fish.

I have a 5 stage RO unit that I've never hooked up because I have no use for the waste and feel to guilty about letting it run down the drain.

Rainwater...a win win situation.
I thought rain water is bad? polution from the car/industry in the water.

|

|
|

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do collect rain water for my garden however I don't think this would be feasible were I live. This tank will take over 6000 gallons a year. I am pretty sure that even if I collected every drop of rain that fell on my property it wouldn't be enough. The waste from the RO isn't a big deal, cause I can use it. It is just the long term storage of one hundred plus gallons of water that is concerning me.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode