would like to elevate a stand that holds two tanks... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Question would like to elevate a stand that holds two tanks...

I have a black metal stand that holds two 29g tanks (or two 20 longs). I'd like to elevate the stand so the bottom tank is easier to see - is there any reason I shouldn't put the stand on a cinder block base? I mean the solid cinder blocks that are 8" x 6" x 4". (laying flat, so two cinders stacked on top of each other will add 8" of height). I can cover the cinders with wood sheathing, so the look won't be Modern Construction Site - lol.
Sounds confusing, I hope you understand!

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cinderblocks can hold plenty of weight. Not getting into compressive strength of the type of concrete, most can hold a few hundred pounds laid on their side.

The question is...will it look good? I don't think so. Also, that's going to be one big PITA to put under the stand assuming the tanks are filled and occupied.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

No, the tanks aren't set up yet - I recently bought them at the Petco sale.
I'm laying T&G pine flooring stained in dark walnut, and I planned on covering the cinder blocks with backer board and wood that matches. However, considering cinder blocks aren't exactly uniform, I can see where getting a level surface might be an issue. But i do think it's do-able...I have to decide how much that low tank bothers me - lol. Maybe not that much...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 09:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I had my old 55gal on a set of cinderblocks which I covered with pleated black fabric - it looked great! I lined up the cinder blocks, then laid a cut-to-fit rectangle sheet of 3/4" plywood on top of that (to provide a smooth surface with some compression for the tank stand to rest on), put some shims in place to level and fix any gaps between the stand and plywood, then I stapled the fabric in a pleated manner into the plywood.

Of course I did this simply to raise the tank height so it looked good behind my bar. I had no storage under the plywood as I completely filled that space with cinder blocks - which wound up being alot of wasted storage space.

When I moved to my 90G, I built a platform out of 1" wood to raise the tank and stand, but which would provide additional storage. Here are a few pics of that.

The light-colored lines between the tank stand and the platform in the front and on the side are the wooden shims I used to level and fill gaps between the tank stand and the platform. I later pained those black. Looks awesome now and is very stable (I can push on the side of the tank and there is no give at all).

Of course you're planning to raise your tank much higher than I did. That will result in a higher center of gravity, and thus will result in less stability. Do you live in an earthquake area?

I'd just do it and see how stable it winds up being. Cinder blocks are cheap so if it doesn't work out, no big loss.
Regards,

Will
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm going to give it a shot - that bottom tank is just too low to view well. I'll start with one layer of block - actually, I think it's called concrete cap block, since it's solid and 4" thick. Then I'll try two layers, raising the height a total of 8".

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willbldrco View Post
I had my old 55gal on a set of cinderblocks which I covered with pleated black fabric - it looked great! I lined up the cinder blocks, then laid a cut-to-fit rectangle sheet of 3/4" plywood on top of that (to provide a smooth surface with some compression for the tank stand to rest on), put some shims in place to level and fix any gaps between the stand and plywood, then I stapled the fabric in a pleated manner into the plywood.

Of course I did this simply to raise the tank height so it looked good behind my bar. I had no storage under the plywood as I completely filled that space with cinder blocks - which wound up being alot of wasted storage space.

When I moved to my 90G, I built a platform out of 1" wood to raise the tank and stand, but which would provide additional storage. Here are a few pics of that.

The light-colored lines between the tank stand and the platform in the front and on the side are the wooden shims I used to level and fill gaps between the tank stand and the platform. I later pained those black. Looks awesome now and is very stable (I can push on the side of the tank and there is no give at all).

Of course you're planning to raise your tank much higher than I did. That will result in a higher center of gravity, and thus will result in less stability. Do you live in an earthquake area?

I'd just do it and see how stable it winds up being. Cinder blocks are cheap so if it doesn't work out, no big loss.
Regards,

Will
I can't tell from those pictures, but I am assuming you also have a piece of wood at the back of the platform for structural integrity. It is a disaster waiting to happen if you don't.

4/26/2012, lost the finest man. Rest easy Pops...
<--Great Danes are people too!
180g, Fluval FX5, 404, 128watts t-8, low tech, heavily planted, with Albino and reg bristlenose plecs, Congo tetras, Amanos, a herd of Corydoras Sterbai, Boesmanis, a big old common plec, & Otos.
32g tall eclipse3, fluval403, with a handful of bristlenose plecs.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sick lid View Post
I can't tell from those pictures, but I am assuming you also have a piece of wood at the back of the platform for structural integrity. It is a disaster waiting to happen if you don't.
Oh yeah, for sure, there is a backing piece. The only open side is the one facing the camera. All joints were glued and fastened with 2" wood screws driven into guide holes I drilled at all joints (including from the top piece of plywood). It was rock solid with 3-4 friends standing/jumping on it - a mini stage.

Will
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

AND it is the inspiration for the wood base I'm using to elevate my metal stand that holds two 29s - thanks! lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode