Lots of roots? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Lots of roots?

Fairly new to planted tanks. Just wondering:
My stem plants seem to be sending out tons of roots from a lot the leaf sections. Is this normal or does it mean something? Limnophila aromatica, dwarf baby tears, anacharis, water sprite are all doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
mhm it's normal. probably because the stems didn't have much of a root system when you got them/some are floaters. you can just cut them off if you don't like them.

75G Paludarium Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

filstar pimp #171
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Is this something that will stop once the plants are more established?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffP View Post
Is this something that will stop once the plants are more established?

I don't think so. The roots will eventually send out smaller roots to the surface too. You just have to trim them once a week if you are lucky.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
they will never stop.. unless u fertilize the main root source.. the plants will put out roots where they are most available. the water column. having plants that aren't stemmy in front of them will hide the ball of roots though

Sump Pimp #7

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
JeffP: Sounds like it's time for you to invest in a pair of long scissors from the dreaded eBay. Ha!

You're about to find out - in a couple weeks - why so many of us feel crazy after being a part of this hobby for an extended period of time. Pruning, trimming, yadda yadda. But you'll grow to love it.

Though, if you're the JeffP who ordered Osmocote Plus caps from me, I think your root situation will calm down within a month. On occasion I've forgotten to fertilize Eco-Complete when I start a new tank and it takes a month or so to get them under control once I remember to do the right thing.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
JeffP: Sounds like it's time for you to invest in a pair of long scissors from the dreaded eBay. Ha!

You're about to find out - in a couple weeks - why so many of us feel crazy after being a part of this hobby for an extended period of time. Pruning, trimming, yadda yadda. But you'll grow to love it.

Though, if you're the JeffP who ordered Osmocote Plus caps from me, I think your root situation will calm down within a month. On occasion I've forgotten to fertilize Eco-Complete when I start a new tank and it takes a month or so to get them under control once I remember to do the right thing.
Why would you have to fertilize eco complete on a new tank? Are you using old eco?
I thought eco complete comes with bb and is pre fertilized.
At least thats what my bags say when I've used it to start my tanks.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 01:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
CHAOSLORD
I was rEading this thread and was going to ask the same thing.
when i scolled down and read yours?
FERTILIZE ECO-COMPLETE????
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo.njexit9 View Post
CHAOSLORD
I was rEading this thread and was going to ask the same thing.
when i scolled down and read yours?
FERTILIZE ECO-COMPLETE????
It took 3 yrs before I started fertilizing my eco complete.
That's when I believed I was seeing a deficiency in my plants. Once I did they started coming back with a vengeance.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffP View Post
Fairly new to planted tanks. Just wondering:
My stem plants seem to be sending out tons of roots from a lot the leaf sections. Is this normal or does it mean something? Limnophila aromatica, dwarf baby tears, anacharis, water sprite are all doing it.
Just trim them as close to the stem as you can. Make sure you invest in the scissors you're happy with. I've always regretted my impulse buy. Lol.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Eco-Complete is inert. It's essentially gravel. In my experience, it'll absorb ferts from the water column but definitely requires substrate fertilization to produce acceptable growth.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
Yep, agreed Eco-Complete is inert, but it has a high CEC. Which makes it very effective at absorbing nutrients... even ones that are dosed in the water column.

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Just to update...

I recently had a bad batch of EC and here's what the CaribSea, Inc. Sales Manager for North America told me via email:

"[T]here is nothing organic in the product other than some tannins and bacteria cultures… the substrate itself is inert biologically speaking…"

(They replaced my bad batch quickly, by the way)
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ecocomplete is porous, and to some extent will retain whatever fertilizer it can sequester, but there really is no appreciable amount of useable nutrients in the fired clay. The minerals in it are bound up in a crystalline structure that isn't useable by the plants.

Flourite makes the same claim about having nutrients, but although the elements listed may be there, it's somewhat misleading to refer to them as nutrients. The glass your aquarium is made from contains iron, but nobody is claiming that aquarium glass is a nutrient source.

I suppose that lithotrophic bacteria could eventually break fired clay down into a bioavailable form, but for all practical purposes, ecocomplete is inert.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
Ecocomplete is porous, and to some extent will retain whatever fertilizer it can sequester, but there really is no appreciable amount of useable nutrients in the fired clay. The minerals in it are bound up in a crystalline structure that isn't useable by the plants.

Flourite makes the same claim about having nutrients, but although the elements listed may be there, it's somewhat misleading to refer to them as nutrients. The glass your aquarium is made from contains iron, but nobody is claiming that aquarium glass is a nutrient source.

I suppose that lithotrophic bacteria could eventually break fired clay down into a bioavailable form, but for all practical purposes, ecocomplete is inert.
I think this can be said about most "plant" substrates. Regardless, I think people should add root tabs to the substrate, especially if one is running a high tech tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode