How to clean filter without killing bacteria? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to clean filter without killing bacteria?

I have a fluval edge, it comes with the Aquaclear 20.

What's the proper way, if any, to clean the filter? Do I rinse the Biomax on top? The sponge? Or is this detrimental to the beneficial bacteria?

Please let me know, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Just squeeze and rinse the sponge and bio max in water change tank water. Replace fine media and your good to go!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ahh. LOADS of algae or some other brown material came out of my filter after cleaning the Biomax. My water is completely brown now with things floating in it. I'm afraid everything will die.

Someone please give me advice on cleaning filters.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mott View Post
Just squeeze and rinse the sponge and bio max in water change tank water. Replace fine media and your good to go!
I can take out the catridge from the filter without worrying about killing the beneficial bacteria? Do I leave the filter running while doing so?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
I can take out the catridge from the filter without worrying about killing the beneficial bacteria? Do I leave the filter running while doing so?
Just dont wash it in tap water, the chlorine will kill the bacteria.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ok so first off. That brown junk in your tank will be nothing to fear. It will eventually clear up and it will not hurt your fish. They might eat it but it won't kill them.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.615719,-88.302691

Opportunity is often missed because it's dressed in coveralls and looks like work.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Algae Grower

Here's how i clean my aqua clear filter media. I set aside about 2 gallons of the water from my tank as I'm doing a water change. I then turn off the filter, and then take out the media from the filter and rinse it off in the tank water i had set aside. You can shake the biomax around pretty good to get all the crap out of it. I also take the sponge and I squeeze it in and out several times to get all the crap out of it. You dont really have to be that gentle, just shake it around squeeze it out until it looks clean. There will be all kinds of brown stuff and debris floating in the water you cleaned it in. The main thing is you dont want to leave the media out of the water for too long. As soon as your done cleaning, put it all back in the filter and get the filter going again. You will have no problems with loss of bacteria. Be sure to fill the reservoir part of the filter with tank water before you start your filter back up so it doesnt burn out the impeller. Its not really as scary as youd think. Those bacteria are pretty tough.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassan_ars View Post
Here's how i clean my aqua clear filter media. I set aside about 2 gallons of the water from my tank as I'm doing a water change. I then turn off the filter, and then take out the media from the filter and rinse it off in the tank water i had set aside. You can shake the biomax around pretty good to get all the crap out of it. I also take the sponge and I squeeze it in and out several times to get all the crap out of it. You dont really have to be that gentle, just shake it around squeeze it out until it looks clean. There will be all kinds of brown stuff and debris floating in the water you cleaned it in. The main thing is you dont want to leave the media out of the water for too long. As soon as your done cleaning, put it all back in the filter and get the filter going again. You will have no problems with loss of bacteria. Be sure to fill the reservoir part of the filter with tank water before you start your filter back up so it doesnt burn out the impeller. Its not really as scary as youd think. Those bacteria are pretty tough.
I wish I read this before doing what I did.

Haha, I just spent 1 hour doing everything weird. Even my galaxy rasbora got sucked up in the filter after cleaning it (the current was so much stronger after cleaning).

Thanks for the help guys.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKine View Post
Just dont wash it in tap water, the chlorine will kill the bacteria.
Wish I read this earlier. Too late..

I added some bacteria supplement after the water change to make up for it. Hopefully my fish will be ok.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
i rinse my canisters in room temp tap (chlorine and chloramine) everytime...a quick rinse may kill some, but it wont destroy your colony

Fraternity, Inc. #33
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I always have 2 filters, either (in the past) 2 HOBs or 2 Canisters.

Clean one COMPLETELY, change media and everything, and leave the other alone. In about 2 months CLEAN the other one COMPLETELY.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Even if you did kill 90% of the bacteria it is still in the tank and will recolonize very quickly.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.615616,-88.302898

Opportunity is often missed because it's dressed in coveralls and looks like work.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
i have a few 5 gallon buckets.. my method every month now is...
siphon my normal 50% into five gallon buckets

that tank water is safe to rinse ur media with. i have 4 trays in my cannister
i have 4 5 gallon buckets with 4 gallons of water in them (roughly 50%)

one tray per bucket.. dip, squeeze, shake, squeeze put media back in tray
fill cannister back with media
fill tank i used to rinse it all with one bucket.. my filter floss is the one that needs rinsing the most.. it gets full of brown dissolved organics

ceramic media and coarse pads just get a rinse and quick squeeze

Sump Pimp #7

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrodg View Post
Even if you did kill 90% of the bacteria it is still in the tank and will recolonize very quickly.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.615616,-88.302898

Someone correct me if I am wrong but beneifitial bacteria is not in the water column.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optix View Post
i rinse my canisters in room temp tap (chlorine and chloramine) everytime...a quick rinse may kill some, but it wont destroy your colony
THIS. Personally I use RODI water to rinse out my filters, but a little tap water won't kill off all the bacteria. The bacteria are more resilient than most people give them credit for, and a quick rinse in tap water won't kill them all.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode