"Anything liquid, perishable, etc....?" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
"Anything liquid, perishable, etc....?"

So when you send out your packages and the guy at the post office asks "anything liquid, perishable...", what do you respond?

I always say no cuz I don't know what they do if you say that there are in fact perishable things in the box. Do they charge more or refuse to ship or something like that?

Comments?

65g planted tank - 200W heat - PC 192W/6700K - Eheim 2217 - Pressurized CO2 - EI Dosing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 06:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Just got fish in yesterday and the box was well marked as being "Live Fish" and "This Side Up"

With markings like this USPS doesn't need to wig out if the box starts leaking. If they don't know what's in it and they see a liquid they might be inclined to call in Haz-Mat.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
If you tell them that its perishable they will just put a sticker on there saying so. I don't think it makes them anymore cautious with it on there or not.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Trust me, it doesn't. I had a shipment of Angelfish shipped Overnight ( 75$) and it had large writing "LIVE FISH" "FRAGILE" and a few other precautions. When I picked up the box, it had been dropped and half of the angels ( 100$ worth of fish) were dead. I'm lucky the other few were alive still.

I don't ship and won't ship anything living through USPS again. UPS or Fedex, even though it costs a bit more.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

FedEx isn't any better. Shipped a package overnight ($84). FedEx decided the address was nonexistent (it isn't!) and shelved the package. Didn't call me, didn't call the recipient. Total fail. Luckily it wasn’t fish or shrimp!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Maniac View Post
FedEx isn't any better. Shipped a package overnight ($84). FedEx decided the address was nonexistent (it isn't!) and shelved the package. Didn't call me, didn't call the recipient. Total fail. Luckily it wasn’t fish or shrimp!

Every once in a while they have those problems. But it seems like with the past 4-5 shipments I've gotten from the USPS, there's been problems.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
IF THE BOX SAYS FRAGILE... i qoute from an employee who loads usps trucks " if it says fragile most co workers tend to go out of their way to throw the box "

take that as you will.. if the box says nothing, the are hard on it, but not as hard as the fragile box

well packaged boxes are the only hope

Sump Pimp #7

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

The box I got in yesterday was well marked. It was 5 lbs 4 oz and looked like each and every person that handled it treated it like their first born. Box doesn't have a scratch. lol

It went from IN to CA via Express.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
I tell them no. I ship plants w/very little water so I don't worry about leaks. The one time I said yes the package arrived all beat to hell.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I've gotten maybe a dozen priority box from member of this site not one had signs of abuse. None had special note from the sellers.

So, maybe keeping it on the down low is best.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I've gotten maybe a dozen priority box from member of this site not one had signs of abuse. None had special note from the sellers.

So, maybe keeping it on the down low is best.
That's a shi$# way to run a business. If they didn't have so many claims every shipment, they'd probably not be worried about money.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Received my fish from Rachel via USPS express this morning and the box isn't scratched at all. Has a please handle with care, perishable sticker on it. Very neatly packed in the event of mishandling. I've also never had any issues with USPS except my lily pipes from AquaticMagic...just seems that they like to beat the life out of their boxes before they ship. I think "fragile" means "use me as a makeshift soccerball".

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (206/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd
I say yes, if asked. Sometimes they may write liquid on the box, often they do nothing. I also put "perishable" stickers on all my boxes. This is because if you are shipping express and it takes more than 3 days, you can file an insurance claim to recoup your losses (beyond the shipping costs) even though they dont cover live things. If its clearly marked perishable and it is way over time, they will cover it just because of that. Plus, its honest.

I do not mark live. This is because USPS changed their rules about a year ago that if something is marked live, it gets put on a special part of hte plane to control the atmospheric pressure (relavent for live things like birds, etc, not so much for fish) and that shipping can be delayed in order to do this.

Also, with UPS, they don't have temp controlled vehicles so I try not to use them unless a neighboring zone. FedEx has destroyed every single box I have EVER sent using them.

I shipped probably 4000 boxes so far this year using USPS. I have had issues with 6 using USPS. Those 6 sucked, but with fedex out of 12, 12 issues. With UPS out of 30 or so, 5 issues. I am sticking with USPS.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
IF THE BOX SAYS FRAGILE...
I'm reminded of the opening scene of Ace Ventura here. And I've actually received a couple boxes like it.

But, to answer the question, I do tell them both Fragile and Perishable. I had one USPS worker tell me that it doesn't matter anyway. Even if you have the box marked "This end up". They say chances are it won't be that way since it's all done by machine.

Only had one issue with the USPS where a box of shrimp took a week to get to it's destination. All of them survived and this was in the dead of winter at that. Packaging makes all the difference.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Interesting stories, thanks folks!

Sad to see though that USPS might be history in the near future .

65g planted tank - 200W heat - PC 192W/6700K - Eheim 2217 - Pressurized CO2 - EI Dosing

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode