rack v larger tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
rack v larger tank

I am debating on which way to go, and am looking for points I may not have thought about. Any input on time commitment/options or ability to move(apartment dweller) between a rack of smaller tanks and a larger tank would be appreciated.

I am between adding a couple of 30" tanks to a shelving rack my 29 sits on, either a couple of 20l or more 29 or mix, or upgrading to a larger tank.

I am thinking of running one of the tanks as a sump on the bottom shelf for a single water loop, and a place to hide all the mechanicals for the other two tanks. This has a couple of advantages for me. I've got a lot of equipment already sized for a 30" tank. Heaters, power heads etc. I should also mention that I bought a 4 bulb t5ho that fills a 30" perfectly. I am considering picking up a 75p to go with the light, although it sounds silly to Chase light $s with tank, stand,filtration $s. The total set-up would be a rack with two scapable tanks, and a sump for mechanicals and potted plants + an Ada 75p on its own stand in a separate room. I was thinking I could rotate plants and fish between the tanks as I scape/rescape since they're all basically the same size. I could also standardize on 24"t5ho across all the tanks. I would need to buy full set up for 75p except lighting, plus two 30" tanks and lighting for three (single bulb t5).

My other option would be just to get a larger tank. I am thinking a 48x18x18 or 48x18x21. I would probably be selling the light I recently bought, and would need basically a whole set up for the larger tank. The larger tank gives me more options for fish/plants, but is going to be a larger footprint and harder to move. The larger tank would make the majority of my equipment obsolete, but its bound to happen sooner or later.

Thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode