Plant eaters? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2002, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Kit

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi,

I am just wondering,

I want to keep a bristlenose pleco in my 29 gallon. He will be along with 7 dwarf rainbow fish, a paradise fish, and a bunch of plants! (I will be adding a liquid fertilizer for plant growth)

I was thinking of the following plants.

amazon sword
red ludwiga
anubias nana
java moss

I have heard these guys tear plants to bits. I really want to keep one in this tank so any comments?

thanks

Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 04:26 AM

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Kit

thanks man!

Have you had expierence with tiger barbs? Do they eat plants, I really want to keep them too.

Kit

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)
Have you ever kept tiger barbs before Kit??? They are some fierce fish. Man they will tear fish fins apart no matter howbig they are. Well atleast that is my experience with them.

I have never kept them with live plants though so I can't answer your question on that. :sad:

Kyle

Please Send all Support Requests to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 12:47 PM

I agree. Tiger barbs are fin nippers, and as you say they will even take on fish many times their size. They are particularly bad with fish that have long flowing fins such as bettas, fancy guppies, and angle fish among others.

You might get lucky and get some peacful ones, but I wouldn't count it. Its too bad, there are a very hardy fish that are colorful and fun to watch. I have had them in a tank with other fish before, but only with fish that were fast swimming and had realitively short fins.

When I had them, I too only had plastic plants, but I can't recall reading anywhere that they will damage plants.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2002, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Kit

I had a 20 gallon long tank with 9 tiger barbs and a plecostamous. It was with regular gravel and plastic plants. Ya, there crazy fish!! I just am afraid to keep them with live plants. I have spent so much time with getting this tank ready. I think I will go with Zebra Danios instead. There crazy too!!

Kit

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode