slime on driftwood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
slime on driftwood

Hi. I bought a piece of mopani driftwood, Zoo Med, Fosters and Smith. I boiled it, soaked it, put it in tank, it developed a weird translucent slimy covering on part of it. I took it out, boiled and soaked it again. Same thing is happening.

Suggestions?

As I was typing this, I realized that I'm not sure how long I boiled it for. Would it help if I made sure it boiled for, I don't know, two hours?

Thanks,
Leah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)
I have the same thing growing on a piece of mine right now that I was unable to boil at all because of its size.

When I first got my other, smaller driftwood, I boiled it for a very long time, a total of maybe 10-12 hours or so, and it was STILL leaching tannins, so I just threw it all in, and one piece grew the white slime-fuzz stuff on it. From what I've read, it's harmless and will only stay for a few weeks (mine stayed one week on the first piece).

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...can-driftwood&

One thing you can try is leaving out in the sun to dry and put it back in and see if it comes back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
a 40g reef
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 01:30 PM
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
It's a normal thing and won't hurt the fish.

I'm dealing with the same thing right now in two of my tanks on the wood that's in there.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
almost every piece of wood, regardless of what you do it before hand, will have this. It is some sort of fungus, but it goes away fairly quickly. Algae eaters seem to really like it so get a pleco or some otos and watch them fatten up.

as was mentioned above, it is harmless. It is just a little unsightly.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I love this site and all of you!! Thank you. Yes, the nerite that is in the tank seems quite happy and I'll be getting some amanos!

Leah
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (23/100%)
Like tharsis said, leave it alone and it'll go away in a few days/a week. Snails also love it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:05 AM
x2h
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
i used to havrthis problem too. after i threw in a few feeder goldfish, the fungus is gone almost overnight. :-)

Sent using RapidRead!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
I ordered the same exact driftwood, same brand, from the same place. I boiled the wood for ~12 hours, then soaked it for another 36. I currently am having the same slime issues you are. The guy at my LFS said it might just be impurities being leached out. It may have been him but someone mentioned trying baking soda? I have plants and am cycling my tank so I'm not gonna try the baking soda, I'm just gonna let it clear itself up. Or, if it's still an issue when the tank is done cycling, I might throw in a pair of Otocinclus and let them feast!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
i had the same thing on my driftwood -2 days ago
just cleaned it with a toothbrush
soaking in a tub right now and checked it today and nothing
guess it went away will add it to the tank tonight
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Yesterday I added 2 Otocinclus affinis to the tank (love these little dudes, btw) and the wood-bound slime, and other algae in my tank, are slowly starting to disappear. I can't tell if they're eating the slime or just dislodging it in an attempt to get to what they're eating...but regardless, they're combating the problem.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
great

WORK IN PROGRESS--TO BE CONTINUED

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 05:52 PM
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the answers, on this.. I am getting some of that and I was worried , I was thinking about taking that piece out and boiling it again. I'll wait a little bit longer, before I do that. I initially boiled the driftwood for 4 hours. This is a new tank and it is still cycling..I don't have any fish in it yet. I planted the tank so the plants could grow and establish themselves before I add the fish.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode