First nano planted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First nano planted

Okay so I'm very new to this forum. As a matter a fact I'm new to keep actually planted aquariums. I have a 75 gallon south American cichlid tank at the head of my bed, lightly planted 55gal community tank and a 10 gal. I'm planing on a 2.5 or maybe a 5.5 planted tank but I've been confronted with a few problems. First one is I don't want to sPend 20$ on substrate if I'm only using a little bit of it. I'm only 16 and don't have cash burning through my pockets. Second is I don't know what to do for a filter or I'd I need one. Lastly if you have a suggestion for plants that would be great.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 04:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
2.5g Tank -- $10-15
5lb CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand -- $4-8
Red Sea Nano Filter
-- $10-18
Fluval Edge PreFilter Sponge -- $3
DIY yeast co2 -- $5
Light -- $5-20

Just a small breakdown of what you could be looking at to spend. Low tech is the way to go IMO if you want to stay on the cheaper side. For plants, look at the swap&shop of our forum. You will find deals that are alot cheaper than what your petstore could offer. As for plants, here's a list of my favorite ones:
- Moss [Fissidens looks best and cleanest IMO]
- Java fern [trident, philippine, windelov]
- Crypts
- Blyxa
- Anubias nana

Blyxa and depending on what crypt you get, are the most demanding out of the list. The rest are your typical low tech tank list.

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 04:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
If you want easy I would definitely go with java moss, java fern and the anubias nana for a 2.5g. With those you won't really have to worry about a super rich substrate.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 05:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
You could throw some anacharis in there too... that stuff will grow with the lights out and its readily available at most petsmart's and petco's. When it gets too tall, just cut it in half and replant the tops. 4-5 stems is like $2.50 I think.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 05:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
If you want easy I would definitely go with java moss, java fern and the anubias nana for a 2.5g. With those you won't really have to worry about a super rich substrate.

I would have to agree with these suggestions for easy to start with plants in a small tank. By the way it's good to see a couple of new people from Nebraska on this forum.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
So sand would be an okay bottom? What should i do about fertalizers. I was also thinking about maybe a carpet of some sort. What types of plants would make a good carpet without co2. Also of it is completely necessary I could make a DIY co2. Lastly and possibly a little off topic how do people get java moss to grow so it looks really nice and layered. Mine just grows in knots wherever I put it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 03:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
A carpeting plant might be a little hard for a a low light no co2 setup. You could tie the java moss to slate and let it come through a netting to simulate a carpet plant. If you do want a carpet, maybe use flame moss instead of java since it grows straight up. I don't know the requirements for flame moss though so you might want to look up what it all needs. You could also try riccia for a carpet. I have it growing as a type of foreground plant in a .9 gallon tank with a 13w cfl.Also The pic as my avatar and profile pic are a 2.5g and it just shows you that even though it is a small space, you can do a lot with it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode