low co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
low co2

Hi,
I've been here once before asking how long to keep my co2 and lights on which I keep on 8 hours a day. But I according to various co2 to Kh charts my co2 is low. I used a co2 calculator to tell me how many bubbles per minute I should pump in which I've used which I've worked out as one bubble every 5 seconds which I use a defusser with. And I have the light running while its on.
I use API kh which is always 8 (drops) which turns the blue to yellow. The Ph varies between 7.2 and 7.6 which on the chart always shows the tank as low co2 levels.

What should I do?

The tank is 60 liters.

Thanks sincerely in advance

Fei.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Co2 charts that use pH and kH are absolutely worthless. If you have a bare bottom tank with no substrate, hard scape and use no fertilizers it MAY be slightly accurate but in the real world there are many thinks that are dissolved in the water that throw kH and pH off and give you worthless numbers for co2 concentration. The fact that you have a 60L (~15g) and arrived at 1 bubble per 5 seconds as a good amount of co2 to be injected tells me that your calculations are way off, by no fault of your own. With a tank that size with a canister filter I would expect at least 1 bubble per second and probably more to reach a good level.

Do you have a drop checker? They are also pretty useless in determining actual co2 concentration amounts but I use mine to see if I am getting co2 dissolved in the water.

The best way to make sure you have enough co2 in the water is to slowly adjust your bubble count up over the course of an entire day until you see stress in any fauna that you keep in the tank. Then turn it down just a bit.

The only problem with this method is if you use a single stage regulator. If that is the case and you reach the end of the liquid co2 in the tank you will experience what is called End Of Tank Dump. This is when the pressure drops in the co2 cylinder and by design a SSR cannot hold a steady output pressure. When the cylinder pressure drops your regulator output rises, effectively increasing your bubble count. If you have set your bubble count to the verge of fauna stress and get a rise in it this could cause your fish to suffocate and die.

If you have a dual stage regulator you have no worries as they can handle cylinder pressure drop with no effect at all on co2 output.

Soak it in then post up your questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode