Biocube (29G) SW to Planted conversion - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Biocube (29G) SW to Planted conversion

Hi All,
I recently took down and traded in all the SW livestock and accessories, it became to costly in terms of $ and time to maintain.

I am currently cleaning with 2 Gallons vinegar and water cycling.

I am curious to the filtration - as the guy at the LFS said just use the Filter cartridges for the Biocube with the normal pump and I am all set.

Do you agree - or is there a recommeneded (inexpensive) filter for the biocube that works great for the the Biocube?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
The stock filter on the biocube will work great. Actually... the bioballs in there work better for freshwater than they do for saltwater. Throw a biocibe cartridge in there an you are set. You might get a foam block for the intake, but other than that you are good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary908 View Post
The stock filter on the biocube will work great. Actually... the bioballs in there work better for freshwater than they do for saltwater. Throw a biocibe cartridge in there an you are set. You might get a foam block for the intake, but other than that you are good.

Pretty sure I threw the Bioballs out - but I do recall they are a "Nitrate" facotry...that wouldnt pose a problem in FW planted?

When you say a foam block for the intake, do you mean -
http://www.bigalspets.com/Fluval-Foa...Rank=salesrank

Would this be used in conjunction with the Biocube Filter Carts?
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...lerid=32176251

Thanks a lot for your help!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistik84 View Post
Pretty sure I threw the Bioballs out - but I do recall they are a "Nitrate" facotry...that wouldnt pose a problem in FW planted?

When you say a foam block for the intake, do you mean -
http://www.bigalspets.com/Fluval-Foa...Rank=salesrank

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...lerid=32176251

If anyone has feedback in the quoted bolded statement above it would be appreciated.

I am going to scrape all of the corraline algae from the saltwater off today as the vinegar has loosened it. I will change all the water as well. I presume there will be vinegar residue still so should refill with water, cycle, and empty a few times still to ensure no vinegar left over on any of the equipment right?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wont lemon remove the vinegar?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by partobe View Post
wont lemon remove the vinegar?
First time I heard that, but I would be very interested if hearing this is true...
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:46 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
I've been running a 29 Gallon Biocube for the past year and half...not really planted (just have some Java Moss and Moss Balls in it...had some duckweed in it but I happened to kill it off some how!) with anywhere from 8-10 Bee Gobies, 2 Amanio Shrimp and several Cherry Shrimp of different ages in it...just added another 4 Bee Gobies and two Ottos for algae cleanup this past weekend. I do a water change every two to three weeks of about 7.5 gallons.

I hate to say this, but I haven't checked my water quality in ages (I work 5 days a week away from home) but I haven't had any major die off in my bee gobies or shrimp.

Once I get settled into my new house I'll be able to spend more time with this tank and getting my 7.5 Pico Planted Shrimp tank setup and my 75 Gallon Community tank...
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:52 AM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
Quote:

When you say a foam block for the intake, do you mean

Bioballs aren't a nitrate factory in FW in my opinion. And even if they were it would just be free plant food. I have a heavily stocked 75 gallon tank and I have a sump with... you guessed it bioballs, and that's it. Check it out, link is in my sig.

That foam block would probably work. You put it behind the intake slats to keep small fish and shrimps from getting sucked in as an added bonus it is basically an extra filter.

No problem, sorry for the late response!

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary908 View Post
Bioballs aren't a nitrate factory in FW in my opinion. And even if they were it would just be free plant food. I have a heavily stocked 75 gallon tank and I have a sump with... you guessed it bioballs, and that's it. Check it out, link is in my sig.

That foam block would probably work. You put it behind the intake slats to keep small fish and shrimps from getting sucked in as an added bonus it is basically an extra filter.

No problem, sorry for the late response!
Thanks - I am sure I can find bioballs cheap online somewhere. I am reading through your journal right now, 25 pages to go but wanted to post my questions while reading.

What determines if a Sump system should be used?
What determines if CO2 system is needed?
With 2 x 36W Power Compact lights in the Biocube (Replaced Actinic with Daylight so both are Daylight), am I fairly limited to certain plants? For example, should I avoid "Stems" or any other general plant type.

I have plenty of driftwood, the mechanical filter, 50/50 Flourite and Gravel, what kind of stock am I looking at?

Right now - I know I am getting a Roseline shark, but other than that no ideas yet. I really like the Knight Goby, but have not seen one at my LFS...
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
By "nitrate factory" I think they just mean that they house the beneficial bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrites and nitrites to nitrates, so yes, they technically are a nitrate factory, but that is what you want your biological filter to be doing for you. I hope this helped.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
By "nitrate factory" I think they just mean that they house the beneficial bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrites and nitrites to nitrates, so yes, they technically are a nitrate factory, but that is what you want your biological filter to be doing for you. I hope this helped.
Understood - I just know while I had this tank setup as a Saltwater - the Saltwater enthusiasts frowned upon it for a multitude of reasons, was wondering what is different in the FW realm that it becomes more beneficial than harmful.

(Saltwater tends to rely on Natural filtration greatly, especially in smaller tanks, in which Live Rock and Water Flow become the "filtration" system).

Reposting questions so they do not get lost:
What determines if a Sump system should be used?
What determines if CO2 system is needed?
With 2 x 36W Power Compact lights in the Biocube (Replaced Actinic with Daylight so both are Daylight), am I fairly limited to certain plants? For example, should I avoid "Stems" or any other general plant type.

I have plenty of driftwood, the mechanical filter, 50/50 Flourite and Gravel, what kind of stock am I looking at?

Right now - I know I am getting a Roseline shark, but other than that no ideas yet. I really like the Knight Goby, but have not seen one at my LFS...
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you had plenty of light when that tank was set up as a reef tank, you have way too much light for a planted tank. It is hard to guess how much light a PC fixture will give you, because those have had reflectors ranging from non-existent to very good, and that makes all the difference in the world. I have a small bio-cube, 8 gallon tank, which had a PC light. I had to replace that light to avoid having way too much light. I suspect you will have to do the same. And, that determines whether you need CO2 or not.

Hoppy
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 04:45 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The term nitrate factory comes from the build up of detritus buildup on the bio balls. high nitrates in any aquarium environment lead to bad algae outbreaks. Reef setups suffer the most with high nitrates. I actually removed the bio balls and added a media rack for my cube.Unless you put in some good filter media in that over flow your going to get a lot of decaying plant matter in that large chamber. Good luck,let us know how it goes.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.schertz View Post
The term nitrate factory comes from the build up of detritus buildup on the bio balls. high nitrates in any aquarium environment lead to bad algae outbreaks. Reef setups suffer the most with high nitrates. I actually removed the bio balls and added a media rack for my cube.Unless you put in some good filter media in that over flow your going to get a lot of decaying plant matter in that large chamber. Good luck,let us know how it goes.
This is more in line with my original thoughts - but as always in forums you have varying opinions and so many variables

What is meant by "Media Rack"? Any links to one?
Also - someone mentioned that Nitrates would "be free food" for plants?

I hate new stuff....
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.schertz View Post
The term nitrate factory comes from the build up of detritus buildup on the bio balls. high nitrates in any aquarium environment lead to bad algae outbreaks.
In a planted tank high nitrates do not lead to algae problems. You can put 4 times the normal dose of nitrates in the tank when you fertilize, and still not cause an algae problem, nor a fish problem. But, low nitrates do lead to BGA problems. The whole purpose of any biofilter is to be a nitrate factory. They convert ammonia to nitrates, which are a necessary plant nutrient.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode