Aquascaping With Swords - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Aquascaping With Swords

I am planning for my South American clearwater biotope right now in a 29 gallon, so I would reall appreciate any comments or help I can get.

I want the right of this tank to be a real thick jungle with the amazon sword, then have it thin out with the parviflorious a little bit, and finally transition to a tenellus "lawn" and then just the substrate. So, do you think this is a good plan I drew up? I am a bit worried just one amazon sword plant on the right isn't going to give the effect I want of really dense foliage...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquarium Layout.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	34712  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
You are right about it not getting as dense as you would like on the right side. You will have an inverted cone shaped growth pattern from the plant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is the solution to add maybe 2 more amazon swords? It seems like a lot but, I really want it thick there...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
In a 29g tank, amazon swords are going to do one thing: Fill it all. There will be no aquascape.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
In a 29g tank, amazon swords are going to do one thing: Fill it all. There will be no aquascape.
So, should I do only one sword or choose another plant for the right?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You will want to choose another plant for the right to meet your plans.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmmm, it needs to be a sword if AT ALL possible (or Camboba, but I think a forest of camboba would look ugly). What about cordifolius?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That will grow out of the tank literally. A large sword like you are contemplating will take up 1/3 to 1/2 of the tank.

Check out this link, there is a mother plant bleheri near the bottom of the page to give you and idea of the size it will grow to. http://www.aquariumplants.com/Swords_s/32.htm Get the 'Vesuvious' to get a forest feel.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Use the Cabomba for height with the parviflorus surrounding it? That will cover up the Cabomba legs and give the tank another texture as well.

Something like vals or giant hairgrass might give a dense tall look. Vals would run around and definitely thicken up the jungle!

Aren't there smaller growing swords like melon that might grow more upright if crowded?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Why not start small? Get ONE sword (uruguay swords have the nicest underwater foliage) and some sand and rocks. Put some root tabs under the sword. Instant, no-fuss biotope. Just make sure to put the sword at the golden mean and it'll look great.

Another thing - "lawns" and "biotopes" generally don't mix. The plants people use for foregrounds grow in moist soil out of the water most of the time. There are exceptions, but not many.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I recently added some Argentine Sword (Echinodorus argentinensis) to one of my tanks and I really like the way it looks. I don't know a bunch about caring for this particular plant, but most of the info I have read say that the max size for it is about 18". If you have a 29g, this would fit your tank well, and if you get enough smaller plants to put them into a dense grouping, I think it would look nice. I have a lot of it in my tank and my tetras love to swim through the stems and leaves. Sorry I don't have more info at the time, but I think that based on what I do know this plant would be a good one for your needs.

I even have duckweed in my water bong!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Max size for Argentine Sword is 4 meters.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 01:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuni View Post
Max size for Argentine Sword is 4 meters.
Wow, really??? I read on another site that they only got to 18 inches. But, I also posted earlier today that I was not able to find any reliable info on the species. Can anyone possibly direct me to a place where I can get good species info for the Argentine Sword? I don't want to thread-jack, so I will sign off now, but if someone has info please let me know.

I even have duckweed in my water bong!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode