tanked - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
amcoffeegirl's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: May 2009
Location: iowa
Posts: 1,568
tanked

Is anyone watching the show tanked on animal planet? i like it alot.
amcoffeegirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 02:39 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,706
I find it entertaining and I typically hate fake 'reality' TV shows.

Mostly it is just worth it to see some of the set-ups.

Anyone else annoyed by the fact that they produce high end beautiful aquariums and insist upon stuffing them full of garish decorations and fake coral/plants/etc.?

I understand that actual reef tanks are too difficult to take care of for professional maintainence situations usually but you would think atleast one of the high end tanks so far would have had real coral and other inverts.

That African Cichlid keg tank that they screwed up with the sports memorabilia motif was especially obnoxious.
madness is offline  
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
WallaceGrover's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 727
I was excited until I saw that they were doing the standard clown vomit style...
WallaceGrover is offline  
 
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
2in10's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sparks, NV
Posts: 2,585
Not many like the tank designs at all. It only has to work for the customer though. The reef forum I am on is trying to send Animal Planet a bunch of complaints about how they depict the salt water hobby.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #041
2in10 is offline  
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 03:06 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Outside Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
...
Anyone else annoyed by the fact that they produce high end beautiful aquariums and insist upon stuffing them full of garish decorations and fake coral/plants/etc.?

I understand that actual reef tanks are too difficult to take care of for professional maintainence situations usually but you would think atleast one of the high end tanks so far would have had real coral and other inverts.

That African Cichlid keg tank that they screwed up with the sports memorabilia motif was especially obnoxious.
In my opinion, if your going to decorate a tank with "garish decorations and fake coral/plants/etc" or use "sports memorabilia motif", the tank is almost always automatically disqualified from being beautiful. It also is generally disqualified from being "high end", since the plants in a planted tank, or the live rock in a reef tank are part of the filtration system.

If your going to go to the trouble of setting up an aquarium, they real show is in the livestock you keep in the tank, not the plastic decorations. If you want the plastic decorations to be the center point, you might as well go all the way and use plastic fish and such. That way you have no routine maintenance.

Personally, I would wonder about any professional maintenance company that couldn't setup and maintain a reef aquarium. It's true some things would need to be scaled back, and you have to choose hardy livestock, but the actual maintenance isn't that much worse than doing a planted tank, provided you plan it properly. What is different is the knowledge you need and how you apply it. I would expect any good aquarium maintenance company to have such knowledge. Case in point, how may people here, in addition to their planted tank, also have a SW reef tank? I say quite a few.
DaveK is offline  
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
amcoffeegirl's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: May 2009
Location: iowa
Posts: 1,568
I am about to watch the keg episode next. i dont have a salt water tank (yet). i still like the show. the set ups are a little cheezy but if they were just regular tanks it wouldnt make a show. i love seeing all the fish. that little boys bed was very cool.
amcoffeegirl is offline  
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 03:34 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Standish, MI.
Posts: 1,827
Well what’s the verdict on the ridiculously RICH doctor tank? I think it has went beter than the other tanks. I still HATE the way they show adding fish and THIS time LIVE corals to the tank the same day. GRRRRRR!!!!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jmowbray is offline  
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 03:37 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
yikesjason's Avatar
 
PTrader: (71/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,600
The equipment costs go through the roof if you try to do a reef on that scale.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yikesjason is offline  
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 03:41 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
fresh.salty's Avatar
 
PTrader: (17/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,956
With a lifetime of fish keeping and 25 years of SW the show has nothing for me. You'll need to equip me like this to get me to sit through an episode.



lol
fresh.salty is offline  
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
GeToChKn's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,116
The do offer live corals if you read up on their site. They prefer to use fake corals to help preserve natural coral reefs and not contribute to the harvesting of them in nature.

I'm 37 years old, and until I setup my first planted tank a few months, I never saw real plants in anyones aquarium. Always fake plants. ugly gravel and easy to take care of fish that most still manage to kill. Us planted people probably make up a single digit of the percentage of aquariums out there and only a percentage of those even use things like CO2, etc, the rest use plastic plants or real plants and no CO2.

It does come down to maintenance I would imagine. Many corals need to be feed specifically and that's not something most people are either willing to do, or willing to pay to have done every single day. They get a fancy tank to look fancy, easy to feed and maintain fish and probably pay a company to come in and do filter maintenance and water changes, etc and thats probably a few times a month. Imagine having to pay someone to come into your office and feed your corals specific foods, etc, every single day.

I like the show, its interesting.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GeToChKn is offline  
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 04:40 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Luecke1548
does any one else notice they don't cycle the tank before they add the fish, and they add to much stock at one time?
Luecke1548 is offline  
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 04:50 AM
Banned
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 220
yeah i noticed that there is no acclimating time in some episodes and the coral inserts are to vibrant also where they get there stock from looks worse than lfs even lfs have character in their fish tanks the place they get them from is just a white room with blank glass cubes full of fish
deleted_user_12 is offline  
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 05:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
ua hua's Avatar
 
PTrader: (58/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 2,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luecke1548 View Post
does any one else notice they don't cycle the tank before they add the fish, and they add to much stock at one time?

There is another thread on here about this show and everytime I see someone post a response like this it just shows that people have a hard time telling the difference between t.v. and reality. I have said this at least three to four times on the other thread about this show but I will say it again. This is a t.v. show and your only seeing what they choose to show you. Just because it looks like they put the tank all together and add the livestock in 1 day on t.v. doesn't mean that it's done that way in reality. These guys have a very successful business and that doesn't happen if you don't know what you're doing. I'm almost positive that these massive tanks are not put together and livestock added in the same day. Nobody would watch a t.v. show about a tank cycling or livestock being drip acclimated. It's meant to be entertaining like all other t.v. shows. Their business would have failed long ago if they did things the wrong way. Again remember people this is a t.v. show thats meant to entertain so quit trying to act like these guys don't know what they are doing and they should take the advice from people on the internet.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ua hua is offline  
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 06:03 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
The do offer live corals if you read up on their site. They prefer to use fake corals to help preserve natural coral reefs and not contribute to the harvesting of them in nature.

I'm 37 years old, and until I setup my first planted tank a few months, I never saw real plants in anyones aquarium. Always fake plants. ugly gravel and easy to take care of fish that most still manage to kill. Us planted people probably make up a single digit of the percentage of aquariums out there and only a percentage of those even use things like CO2, etc, the rest use plastic plants or real plants and no CO2.

It does come down to maintenance I would imagine. Many corals need to be feed specifically and that's not something most people are either willing to do, or willing to pay to have done every single day. They get a fancy tank to look fancy, easy to feed and maintain fish and probably pay a company to come in and do filter maintenance and water changes, etc and thats probably a few times a month. Imagine having to pay someone to come into your office and feed your corals specific foods, etc, every single day.

I like the show, its interesting.
I totally understand why planted tanks and reef tanks are not common and it makes good sense but when you are dealing exclusively with high end and custom set-ups those are exactly the rare situations where real plants or reef tanks are an option to consider. They don't seem to have any serious limitations on fish that they purchase (there have been some super expensive and not exactly common fish chosen) and they appear to have the type of high end filtration designs that go hand in hand with more challenging tanks but so far the episodes that I have seen it has primarily boiled down to: super expensive tank and expensive saltwater fish.

The rich customers who had the custom quarantine system put in seem the exact types of hobbyists to request a reef set-up.
madness is offline  
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 06:15 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
HypnoticAquatic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: arvada, co
Posts: 1,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
I find it entertaining and I typically hate fake 'reality' TV shows.

Mostly it is just worth it to see some of the set-ups.

Anyone else annoyed by the fact that they produce high end beautiful aquariums and insist upon stuffing them full of garish decorations and fake coral/plants/etc.?

I understand that actual reef tanks are too difficult to take care of for professional maintainence situations usually but you would think atleast one of the high end tanks so far would have had real coral and other inverts.

That African Cichlid keg tank that they screwed up with the sports memorabilia motif was especially obnoxious.
took my words out of my mouth!! i was very dissapointed on that african tank im pretty sure i even saw them add a nicaraguense with the africans which i dont really like but thats me.
HypnoticAquatic is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome